From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: amavis and DKIM verification
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:31:55
1 On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 04:09:07PM +0100, Xavier Parizet wrote:
2 > Le 10/01/2010 22:26, Matt Harrison a ??crit :
3 > > I say OT because it's my understanding of DKIM that lets me down here, not Gentoo. I'm
4 > > just not sure who to ask or even if it could be something Gentoo related.
5 > >
6 > > I've recently updated my postfix home mail server to use amavis-new for virus and spam
7 > > filtering rather than procmail/spamassassin.
8 > >
9 > > It seems to be working well and I've also enabled some other goodies like DKIM signing
10 > > and verification. I haven't confirmed signing is working yet, so maybe a side effect
11 > > of this email is that someone can confirm this for me ;)
12 >
13 > Your mail is not DKIM-Signed, check your setup.
14
15 Ok, thanks for checking, it appears that outbound messages weren't being passed to
16 amavis, I think I've rectified that now.
17
18 I can see the message being scanned in the logs, but not necessarily being signed
19 though. Inbound messages generate warnings such as:
20
21 dkim: not signing, no applicable private key for domains ruby-forum.com.....
22
23 but my outbound messages just scan clean. I've tried without sender maps and with
24 limiting them to my domain.
25
26 > > The main query I have is that a lot of the mail I get, in this case from various
27 > > mailing lists, appears to failed DKIM verification.
28 > >
29 > > For example, several of the posters on this list are DKIM signing their mail either as
30 > > part of gmail policy (or another big provider) or personal intent. Something in the
31 > > region of 50% of signed mail on this list contains headers such as:
32 > >
33 > > Authentication-Results: genesis.genestate.com (amavisd-new); dkim=softfail
34 > > (fail, message has been altered) header.i=@gmail.com
35 > > Authentication-Results: genesis.genestate.com (amavisd-new); domainkeys=softfail
36 > > (fail, message has been altered) header.from=xxxxxx@×××××.com
37 > >
38 > > Whereas the rest looks like this:
39 > >
40 > > Authentication-Results: genesis.genestate.com (amavisd-new); dkim=pass
41 > > header.i=@gmail.com
42 > > Authentication-Results: genesis.genestate.com (amavisd-new); domainkeys=pass
43 > > header.from=xxxxxx@×××××.com
44 > >
45 > > Now I find it unreasonable to assume that 50% of the mail I receive is being actively
46 > > tampered with, so it must be something getting twisted out of shape. All I'm trying to
47 > > discover is whether it's something at my end that I need to fiddle with. I followed a
48 > > few different guides to piece my setup together so it's quite possible I've overlooked
49 > > or misconfigured something.
50 >
51 > 90% chance the emails failing DKIM verification had their email subject modified
52 > to add "[gentoo-user]" in it by the mlmmj program that manage the mailing-list,
53 > which mainly concerns topic starts (ie first mails about one topic).
54
55 That would make a lot of sense, I'm not sure if it's just the first messages that are
56 doing it, but I have a feeling that others in a thread are also failing.
57
58 Thanks for your input Xavier, I think I need to get over to the amavis or postfix
59 guys, like Stroller said, to really figure out what is happening.