From: Mike Mazur <mmazur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN setup
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:51:09
1 Hi Grant,
2
3 On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > I'm hoping to use the vpn in three few ways:
5 > > >
6 > > > 1. imap and smtp between my laptop and the mail server
7 > > > 2. ssh from my laptop to the remote server
8 > > > 3. cups printing from the remote server to the print server
9 > >
10 > > I don't think you need a VPN to SSH from your laptop to the remote
11 > > server -- SSH is already encrypted.
12 >
13 > For sure, but it seems like running SSH inside a VPN is better for
14 > security than running SSH on a non-standard port or even port
15 > knocking. If I need to set up a VPN for printing, shouldn't I use it
16 > for other stuff too? Maybe not, I have yet to actually use a VPN so
17 > please correct me if I'm wrong.
18
19 There are other ways to make SSH more "secure". For example, you could
20 only enable PubkeyAuthentication while disabling all other methods of
21 Authentication, then use a large (4096-bit?) key pair with a strong
22 passphrase[1] and use keychain[2] so you don't have to type in the
23 passphrase all the time. OK, I'm exaggerating a bit with those
24 passwords from GRC, but you get the idea.
25
26 [1] https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
27 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain/
28
29 Also keep in mind the added overhead with OpenVPN -- your encrypted
30 SSH traffic is again encrypted by the VPN.
31
32 > > If your laptop is always behind your local firewall, then it should be
33 > > sufficient to have an OpenVPN tunnel established between your local
34 > > firewall/print server and your remote server. This should allow you to
35 > > print.
36 > >
37 > > Configuring the routes on your laptop to go through your local
38 > > firewall and VPN to the remote server should allow you to grab your
39 > > mail.
40 > >
41 > > If you move around with your laptop then you'll need to establish the
42 > > VPN tunnel to your remote server anytime you need to grab your mail
43 > > from anywhere else but home (behind your local firewall).
44 >
45 > Ah, tunnels, OK. I need to think in terms of tunnels. I'll
46 > definitely be moving around and won't be behind my local firewall too
47 > much of the time. Can I set up the openvpn server on my remote system
48 > and keep a tunnel open between it and the firewall/print server for
49 > printing, and also initiate a tunnel between the laptop and the remote
50 > system whenever I need to mail or SSH? Does that sound like a good
51 > plan?
52
53 Yep, that should work. With a 'permanent' tunnel established between
54 your remote server and your local firewall/print server, you'll always
55 have access to those too simply by connecting via VPN to your remote
56 server. You can print from your laptop to your printer at home while
57 overseas, for example.
58
59 Mike
60 --