From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN setup
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:13:08
1 > > I'm hoping to use the vpn in three few ways:
2 > >
3 > > 1. imap and smtp between my laptop and the mail server
4 > > 2. ssh from my laptop to the remote server
5 > > 3. cups printing from the remote server to the print server
6 >
7 > I don't think you need a VPN to SSH from your laptop to the remote
8 > server -- SSH is already encrypted.
9
10 For sure, but it seems like running SSH inside a VPN is better for
11 security than running SSH on a non-standard port or even port
12 knocking. If I need to set up a VPN for printing, shouldn't I use it
13 for other stuff too? Maybe not, I have yet to actually use a VPN so
14 please correct me if I'm wrong.
15
16 > If your laptop is always behind your local firewall, then it should be
17 > sufficient to have an OpenVPN tunnel established between your local
18 > firewall/print server and your remote server. This should allow you to
19 > print.
20 >
21 > Configuring the routes on your laptop to go through your local
22 > firewall and VPN to the remote server should allow you to grab your
23 > mail.
24 >
25 > If you move around with your laptop then you'll need to establish the
26 > VPN tunnel to your remote server anytime you need to grab your mail
27 > from anywhere else but home (behind your local firewall).
28
29 Ah, tunnels, OK. I need to think in terms of tunnels. I'll
30 definitely be moving around and won't be behind my local firewall too
31 much of the time. Can I set up the openvpn server on my remote system
32 and keep a tunnel open between it and the firewall/print server for
33 printing, and also initiate a tunnel between the laptop and the remote
34 system whenever I need to mail or SSH? Does that sound like a good
35 plan?
36
37 - Grant
40 > > IMHO you should always go with routed first, then bridged if you need
41 > > it.
42 > >
43 > > Ask yourself this question: do you really need ethernet traffic to go
44 > > through the vpn? There are cases where it could be useful, but I'm hard
45 > > pressed to find a general case.
46 > >
47 > > With a routed vpn, you work with IP addresses, just like you do on the
48 > > internet.
49 >
50 > As Alan said, try going with routed first.
51 >
52 > Also, think about whether you really need this. As mentioned above,
53 > SSH doesn't need to be tunneled over a VPN. IMAP and SMTP can be
54 > encrypted too. That leaves printing, for which you could use VPN.
55 >
56 > Have fun!
57 > Mike
58 --