From: Mike Mazur <mmazur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN setup
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:59:17
1 Hi Grant,
2
3 On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 5:41 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > I'm hoping to use the vpn in three few ways:
5 >
6 > 1. imap and smtp between my laptop and the mail server
7 > 2. ssh from my laptop to the remote server
8 > 3. cups printing from the remote server to the print server
9
10 I don't think you need a VPN to SSH from your laptop to the remote
11 server -- SSH is already encrypted.
12
13 If your laptop is always behind your local firewall, then it should be
14 sufficient to have an OpenVPN tunnel established between your local
15 firewall/print server and your remote server. This should allow you to
16 print.
17
18 Configuring the routes on your laptop to go through your local
19 firewall and VPN to the remote server should allow you to grab your
20 mail.
21
22 If you move around with your laptop then you'll need to establish the
23 VPN tunnel to your remote server anytime you need to grab your mail
24 from anywhere else but home (behind your local firewall).
25