From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN setup
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:58:46
1 On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Grant wrote:
2 > > I don't think you need a VPN to SSH from your laptop to the remote
3 > > server -- SSH is already encrypted.
4 >
5 > For sure, but it seems like running SSH inside a VPN is better for
6 > security than running SSH on a non-standard port or even port
7 > knocking.  If I need to set up a VPN for printing, shouldn't I use it
8 > for other stuff too?  Maybe not, I have yet to actually use a VPN so
9 > please correct me if I'm wrong.
10
11 The name tells you everything you need to know.
12
13 vpn is Virtual Private *Network*. If you would normally have a dedicated
14 line between this place and that place to form a network, but this is
15 too expensive so you use the internet instead, then you use a vpn. Why?
16 Because the internet is a public pathway and you don't want your stuff
17 out in the open.
18
19 If you want a client machine somewhere to connect to a server machine
20 somewhere else, then this is normal internet connectivity and vpn is
21 the wrong thing. If you want the client machine to be part of the same
22 network the server is on so that lots of stuff works the way it does in
23 the office itself, then vpn is the correct thing.
24
25 Even if you just want to encrypt some clear-text protocol that doesn't
26 have an encrypted equivalent, a vpn is still overkill. For that you use
27 ssh tunneling (which is essentially the same thing as an encrypted
28 version of a protocol). 'ssh -X' is the classic example of easily
29 tunneling a protocol that doesn't have a native encrypted equivalent.
30
31 Your statement "it seems like running SSH inside a VPN is better for
32 security than running SSH on a non-standard port" is non-sensical. From
33 a security and encryption perspective, ssh and OpenVPN are exactly the
34 same thing - stuff wrapped in an encryption layer provided by ssl,
35 complete with exactly the same key setup should you choose to use that
36 route.
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
43 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list