From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Web mail
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 06:16:07
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 >
3 > The output of ASP.Net is trash. Most notably it doesn't gracefully degrade
4 > as the browser loses features, and generates unnecessary round-trips to
5 > the server.
6
7 That was true for *Microsoft's* ASP.Net 1.1. The output HTML for the MS
8 supplied controls was pretty ugly and non-standard. ASP.Net 2.0 is much
9 improved. I also use Mono. Mono's .Net 1.1 has better output than MS's
10 .Net 1.1.
11
12 > I agree that event-driven programming generally a better fit for GUIs,
13 > however it's not really a good fit for HTTP. I prefer a middle ground
14 > that removes the spew of markup (which is bad) but doesn't work against
15 > HTTP/HTML. In general, the goal is for php/java/vb/c#/<your language
16 > here> to not generate much markup, but to generate the content inside the
17 > markup.
18
19 Middle ground is very good. I do like event driven programming and
20 doing web apps with it seems natural to me. However, there are some
21 things that do seem clunky and not to fit well with event oriented web apps.
22
23 > Code separation is easily done without writing event-driven code. You can
24 > define procedure libraries and/or Class (and object) hierarchies that
25 > don't deal with markup but use their results in the markup.
26
27 True. However some models lend better to more separation. There is no
28 one *true* method for every purpose. I have done the markup-with-code
29 crap; The extremely complex abstractions Java crap for a simple web app;
30 the make everything like a VB form MS C# web app crap; etc, etc. They
31 all have had pros and cons.
32
33 > Writing an event-driven dynamic webpage is a little questionable to begin
34 > with since the underlying protocol is request-driven. If your
35 > applications are request driven, you'll find they are much easier to
36 > debug. Work *with* the tools you are given, not against them. On top of
37 > that, you have very little control over the other side of the protocol,
38 > most of the time. This is basically a requirement for layer another
39 > framework on a protocol and changing how it works. E.g. TCP
40 > [stream-oriented with delivery guarantees] over IP [packet-oriented with
41 > no delivery guarantees] has fairly specific behavior for both sides of the
42 > TCP connection.
43
44 The protocol is not important and that is why it is OK to abstract it
45 away. Event oriented web apps are not the answer for everything. They
46 have pros and cons.
47
48 All I know is I don't want to ever have to do stuff like this again:
49
52
53 : )
54
55 > The SquirrelMail source code is trash.
56
57 I haven't gone through all of it, or even much of it to really know.
58 Though the compose.php page was a real mess. All I wanted to do was
59 line the form buttons up nicely : )
60
61 Jim
62 --