From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 22:22:17
1 On 06/12/2018 23:45, Dale wrote:
2 >>
3 >> You won't get anything close to double the speed. The extra cores will
4 >> mostly go unused, unless you use applications that make use of them.
5 >>
6 >> You will still get a speed up due to the newer CPU architecture and
7 >> the higher frequency.
8 >
9 > What I was thinking about is something like when compiling and all the
10 > cores are used.  In other words, CPU is at max load.  Right now, I have
11 > only 4 cores.  New CPU doubles that and each core is faster as well.  As
12 > a example, Firefox takes about a hour to compile.  I was hopeful that
13 > would drop to 30 or 35 minutes or so.
14
15 Oh that. Yeah, there will be a 2x speedup when emerging packages
16 (MAKEOPTS="-j8"). I was referring to application performance when using
17 the machine. I don't consider package installation as "using the
18 machine" :-)
21 >> The two speeds specify the lower and upper speeds, depending on how
22 >> many CPU cores are currently being under load, and also how much load
23 >> there is. You don't have to worry about it though. It's all automatic.
24 >> [...]
25 >
26 > That's good to know.  That I was wondering about and couldn't find a
27 > clear answer on.  I didn't know if I needed to install something to
28 > manage that or what.
29
30 The kernel takes care of that. You should be able to observe the CPU's
31 frequency and temperature in KSysGuard. Here's how it looks here:
32
33 https://i.imgur.com/Xogy3h0.png
34
35 In that screenshot, the CPU has all 4 cores clocked down to 1.6GHz
36 because they're all mostly idle. Once there's high CPU load, it will
37 crank up the clocks towards 4GHz.
38
39 You need to add these sensors manually to KSysGuard though. But if you
40 do, it's a good way to verify things are working as intended.