From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 21:45:48
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 06/12/2018 11:27, Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I've bought but not yet installed a FX-8350 CPU.  I have this in my
5 >> make.conf file:
6 >>
7 >> CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
8 >> USE_CPU="
9 >
10 > USE_CPU does not do anything, AFAICT. CPU features are specified in
11 > CPU_FLAGS_X86. You can get appropriate flags using the
12 > app-portage/cpuid2cpuflags tool. For example, here:
13 >
14 > $ cpuid2cpuflags
15 > CPU_FLAGS_X86: aes avx mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1
16 > sse4_2 ssse3
17 >
18 > So in my make.conf, I use:
19 >
20 > CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1
21 > sse4_2 ssse3"
25 I was wondering if those are used anymore.  I did that a looooong time
26 ago.  Things change.  After I do the swap, I'll get the settings up to
27 date.  No need changing things now just to change them again later.
28 Besides, the current settings may be better when I install the new one.
29 I did have the correct one in make.conf but didn't notice it to post.  I
30 did comment out the old unused one tho.  The current setting is this:
31
32 CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow 3dnowext mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4a"
33
34 I'll update that when I get the new CPU installed.  I already have
35 cpuid2cpuflags installed.  At least now I know it is the current tool to
36 use.  ;-)
37
38 I wish the monthly news letter would come back to let us know about some
39 of these changes.  Some things don't require a news item but we still
40 need to know when we can remove outdated stuff and add new stuff.
44 >> Those were put there ages ago, likely when I built and installed Gentoo
45 >> on this rig.  Do I need to change those to something that is compatible
46 >> with both CPUs and then change to the new CPU after it is installed?  Or
47 >> will the new CPU be close enough that it won't matter?  Right now, I
48 >> don't know for sure what the new CPU supports or doesn't.
49 >
50 > Just install the new CPU and run cpuid2cpuflags to see what to put in
51 > CPU_FLAGS_X86. You can delete USE_CPU as that doesn't seem to be used
52 > for anything.
56 Old setting gone.
59 >> While at it, going from a 4 core CPU at 3.2GHz to a 8 core CPU at
60 >> 4.0/4.2GHz, just how much increase can I expect?  Will it double and
61 >> that's about it or will it be more than that?
62 >
63 > You won't get anything close to double the speed. The extra cores will
64 > mostly go unused, unless you use applications that make use of them.
65 >
66 > You will still get a speed up due to the newer CPU architecture and
67 > the higher frequency.
71 What I was thinking about is something like when compiling and all the
72 cores are used.  In other words, CPU is at max load.  Right now, I have
73 only 4 cores.  New CPU doubles that and each core is faster as well.  As
74 a example, Firefox takes about a hour to compile.  I was hopeful that
75 would drop to 30 or 35 minutes or so.  I realize there is some overhead
76 on this so it isn't a exact thing.  I was just curious about a rough
77 number to expect.  I know upgrading from 16GBs of ram to 32GBs has
78 helped.  I tested Dolphin the other day and it still have its memory hog
79 issue.  At least this time I had enough memory that it didn't cause a
80 crash.  ;-)
83 >> Also, since it has two
84 >> speeds, will it run at the slower or faster one?  Will it depend on
85 >> load?  I've never had a CPU with two clock speeds like this before.
86 >
87 > The two speeds specify the lower and upper speeds, depending on how
88 > many CPU cores are currently being under load, and also how much load
89 > there is. You don't have to worry about it though. It's all automatic.
90 > When you're not running anything that stressed the CPU, clock speeds
91 > are actually lower than 4GHz (some CPUs can clock down to 1GHz or so
92 > when they're idle and not doing anything.) Once something CPU-heavy
93 > runs, it will clock up to 4.2GHz. If you run something that stresses
94 > all CPU cores, then it will go to 4.0GHz to avoid overheating.
95 >
96 > But again, all this is automatic.
102 That's good to know.  That I was wondering about and couldn't find a
103 clear answer on.  I didn't know if I needed to install something to
104 manage that or what.   At least now I know to install the CPU and it
105 will do its own thing without me having to worry about it.  BTW, I know
106 my video card does that too.  The processor on it varies its clock speed
107 by a fairly wide margin.  Speaking of, I also found a MSI GeForce GTX
108 650 1GB Video Card.  It is a used card but it is faster I think than my
109 current 220 series.  Keep in mind, my idea of gaming is Kpatience.  The
110 biggest load is watching TV.  ;-)
111
112 Thanks for the info.  This answers a lot of questions I had.  Makes me
113 hopeful that this will work like I expect.
114
115 Dale
116