From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 09:08:19
1 On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 03:21, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 ----- >8 snip
8 >> You were there in the thread linked by Walt, udev is just one of several
9 >> packages maintained by RH people that *demands* /usr to be mounted during
10 >> boot.
11 >>
12 >> And the RH devels insistence to deprecate /bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin...
13 >>
14 >> I'm getting depressed. One battle might be won (mdev vs udev), but there's
15 >> still a war against the RH braindeadness...
16 >
17 > I'm sorry to tell you this, but (as admirable as it could be), the
18 > mdev hack to use it instead of udev is not a "victory". We are not at
19 > war, in the first place; and in the second place, the mdev hack would
20 > be used by a handful of guys bent on refusing a change that, like it
21 > or not, would in the end come. Like Gentoo on FreeBSD, it would be a
22 > nice hack, maybe even worthy of applause, but in the end irrelevant: a
23 > toy. A cute, entertaining (and, in a few cases, useful) toy. But a toy
24 > nonetheless.
27 I may have been slightly hyperbolic in my usage of "battle" and "war",
28 but then again why must Gentoo bend over to the wills of RH developers
29 who insist on doing things their way?
30
31 And mdev might be a 'toy' to you, but embedded Linux developers will
32 vehemently disagree with you.
33
34 And based on the responses in this thread, server guys will also
35 disagree with you.
36
37 For these two groups, mdev is not a toy but a necessity.
38
39 > The heavy development will continue to happen in udev, and the devices
40 > that will dominate in the future (touchscreens, bluetooth input and
41 > audio devices, hardware that has a highly dynamic change rate) will
42 > only be supported by udev. The mdev hack will be useful maybe to only
43 > some guys, and even then udev would be able to do the same (and more).
46 The ability of mdev is more than enough for those handling the
47 back-end servers, thank you.
48
49 udev just adds bells and whistles *not* needed in server environs.
50
51 > The use of an initramfs (or, alternatively, having /usr in the same
52 > partition as /), and maybe the move of /bin to /usr/bin and /lib to
53 > /usr/lib will be made, and in the future most of the interesting
54 > software will simply assume that this is how a system works. Maybe we
55 > will even stop to use the ridiculous short directory names from the
56 > stone age, and we will start using sensible names:
57 >
58 > /usr -> /System
59 > /etc -> /Config
60 > /var -> /Variable
63 I can agree with sensible names. Unfortunately, forcing sensible names
64 upon servers *already* in the field is a sure fire recipe to disaster.
65
66 Besides, the FHS itself explains the reasoning behind each directory.
67
68 As to the forced use of initramfs, again it runs counter to the wishes
69 of embedded Linux people (for whom storage is at a premium) and the
70 wishes of server people (whom would prefer as few 'breaking points' as
71 possible).
72
73 (As a side note, initramfs introduces not one, but *MANY* additional
74 breaking points: the tool used to generate the initramfs might be
75 buggy and/or feature-incomplete, the initramfs itself might encounter
76 an unrecoverable error, the pivot_root or chroot might snag upon some
77 not-so-edge cases, etc.)
78
79 > I feel a deep respect for the people working on making mdev a
80 > "replacement" of udev; it is not an easy task (even if it only works
81 > for a really small subset of the use cases udev covers), and something
82 > that I certainly would never do. But their hack (as beautiful as it
83 > may be) will never be used by the majority of Linux users, and
84 > probably not even by the majority of Gentoo users (if my
85 > interpretation of the discussion on gentoo-dev is correct). And with
86 > the pass of time it will be harder and harder to keep the hack working
87 > with new hardware, new software, and new use cases.
88 >
89 > But, hey, this is FOSS; you guys go nuts hacking in whatever feature
90 > (or anti-feature) you like. As in the case of this mdev hack, it may
91 > even be included in the Gentoo ebuilds. Just don't expect it to be
92 > supported forever, don't expect it to support general-purpose setups,
93 > and certainly don't call it "a victory". It's just the same history as
94 > always: the people writing the code are the ones calling the shots.
97 As long as there are embedded Linux, mdev *will* be maintained and
98 supported in perpetuum.
99
100 Besides, the so-called mdev "hack" is really just a small script which
101 gets executed before "init" runs. The other convoluted steps waltdnes
102 had provided is just necessary to fix the virtual/dev-manager ebuild
103 to allow using mdev instead of udev (and, with the acceptance of his
104 bug report, we will soon see in the main portage tree). The actual
105 steps to replace udev with mdev are very simple.
106
107 Rgds,
108 --
109 FdS Pandu E Poluan