From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 10:04:14
1 The 05/01/12, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2
3 > And mdev might be a 'toy' to you, but embedded Linux developers will
4 > vehemently disagree with you.
5 >
6 > And based on the responses in this thread, server guys will also
7 > disagree with you.
8
9 On the embedded side, we need udev much more than you think to support
10 bluetooth, tablet and so. Android uses udev. This is even more true when
11 we know that users will expect to have any plugged-in devices at
12 whatever boot time or runing system be working out of the box. BTW, this
13 is not a major problem since embedded devices already often use initramfs.
14
15 On servers, I wouldn't be surprised that hypervisor tools will expect
16 /dev/cdrom instead of /dev/sr0.
17 AFAIK, mdev doesn't provide persistent device names and changing a
18 ethernet card might result in a highly broken system where udev will let
19 all interfaces working but the changed one. Worse, I think mdev might
20 change of device names upon reboot so that all ethernet devices can be
21 mixed up in ways like eth0 -> eth1, eth1 -> eth3 and eth2 -> eth0.
22
23 These are only few examples and this is whole mdev hack (requirements
24 and consequences) that makes "mdev alternative" look like a toy.
25
26 People thinking that mdev could replace udev even on embedded devices
27 and servers are wrong for both current or longer term.
28 You might like it or not but udev is a core system tool, nowadays.
29
30 As admin, I will expect to have a initramfs and udev on linux systems
31 whatever they are desktop, embedded or servers. Actually, I already rely
32 on initramfs for all of these kind of systems for years with success.
35 Nicolas Sebrecht