From: Corbin <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD stopped booting
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 23:29:35
1 On 04/13/2016 04:30 PM, João Matos wrote:
2 > Dear list,
3 >
4 > I have a SSD disk that was booting Gentoo for almost two years. Last
5 > weekend, I moved out. Now when I try to turn on my desktop, it freezes
6 > before loading grub. After a while, it jumps to the second disc, then I
7 > receive a error message because there is a invalid grup installed on
8 > /dev/sdb.
9 >
10 > The SSD I mentioned is apparently working pretty well. I booted my
11 > desktop from a Ubuntu usb, and I was able to run several benchmarks
12 > tools and even make a chroot to my Gentoo environment. I've verified the
13 > disk performance, the filesystem (ext4), the inodes, the folder/files,
14 > and everything appears do be normal.
15 >
16 > I've also installed and configured grub2 again and was able to boot just
17 > once. Everything worked fine after that boot, but, once again, It no
18 > longer can boot.
19 >
20 > The questions are: where should I look for clues? what Information do
21 > you need?
22 >
23 > Thank you all,
24 >
25 > --
26 > João Neto
27 > Linux User #461527
28 > http://br.linkedin.com/pub/jo%C3%A3o-de-matos/7/316/552
29
30 Simple Check ... Hope its this easy .)
31 Have you checked the partitions, partition flags, and partition boot
32 sector on that drive?
33
34 ( From Frank Steinmetzger )
35 > Look at smartctl for starters.
36
37 Do you have sys-apps/smartmontools installed / smartd running?
38
39 If the boot sector has wear problems, SMART may show those
40 bad/reallocated regions on that drive. Not sure how that works with the
41 TRIM filesystem on SSDs.
42
43 Hope this helps.