From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 19:38:47
1 On 2019.02.04 06:10, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 04/02/2019 07:47, Dale wrote:
3 >> How do you, especially those who admin systems that are always being
4 >> hacked at, generate strong passwords that meet the above?  I've
5 >> googled
6 >> and found some ideas but if I use the same method, well, how many
7 >> others
8 >> are using that same method, if you know what I mean.  ;-)  Just
9 >> looking
10 >> for ideas.
11 >
12 > I don't use a password manager. For website logins, I just use the
13 > password manager in the browser (Firefox), which does not use a
14 > master password :-P I just assume my own system is not going to be
15 > compromised.
16 >
17 > For the websites I use, I generate a unique password per site using
18 > this command:
19 >
20 > $ pwmake 128
21 >
22 > This generates a password using 128 bits of entropy from
23 > /dev/urandom. You need dev-libs/libpwquality being installed (it's a
24 > dep of something important, I think, so should be installed on most
25 > systems already.)
26 >
27 > For remote systems I administer through SSH, I don't use passwords. I
28 > use a public/private key pair to log in (4096 bits.) My private key
29 > is protected with a strong password though, but it's easy to remember
30 > since it doesn't need to change. Something like:
31 >
32 > ilp&mac4d@4*r
33 >
34 > Which is short for:
35 >
36 > I like pizza and macaroni for dinner at four star restaurants.
37 The problem I have with many of these suggestions is that I have
38 multiple devices (two desktops, two laptops, tablet, android phone) I
39 use sufficiently often that I either need to be able to remember the
40 passwords or have some way of easily accessing them when I'm not
41 sitting at my main desktop. Other than using a password manager (which
42 I do not currently have) how to others deal with this?
43
44 Jack