From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Router for ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 18:13:02
1 On Monday 08 January 2007 11:43, Dan <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote about 'Re:
2 [gentoo-user] [OT] Router for ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy':
3 > "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 > > if you want to take advantage of
5 > > gigabit speeds (or more than a dozen 100mbit ports) you'll definitely
6 > > want a dedicated solution -- the PCI bus just can't keep up. Maybe
7 > > there's a solution in PCIe or PCI-X, since they do increase
8 > > bandwidth, but I've yet to see a standard PC configured to handle
9 > > that much bandwidth.
10 >
11 > If you have the router between LAN segments at gigabit speeds, and need
12 > to route more than 132MB/S worth of data transfer
13
14 Like, moving my rather large collection of video from one computer to
15 another? Or, simply watching HD video from your NAS on 2-3 frontends at
16 the same time? Actually, just about anything involving a NAS and any rael
17 workload.
18
19 > good luck finding a PC with 10 pci slots so
20 > that you can achieve gigabit speeds on 100-tx hardware ;)
21
22 You needn't have 10 pci slots. Many companies sell 4-port 10/100 ethernet
23 cards (I have one that a number of years old in the next room). I'm
24 fairly sure higher numbers of ports are available, although they are rare.
25 4-port 10/100/1000 ethernet cards (PCIe or PCI-X, IIRC) are also
26 available.
29 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
30 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
31 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
32 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh