From: Dan <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Router for ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:59:55
1 On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:29:52 -0600
2 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > if you want to take advantage of
5 > gigabit speeds (or more than a dozen 100mbit ports) you'll definitely
6 > want a dedicated solution -- the PCI bus just can't keep up. Maybe
7 > there's a solution in PCIe or PCI-X, since they do increase
8 > bandwidth, but I've yet to see a standard PC configured to handle
9 > that much bandwidth.
10
11 If you have the router between LAN segments at gigabit speeds, and need
12 to route more than 132MB/S worth of data transfer, sure, the PCI bus
13 isn't fast enough. Why you'd need a router anywhere between
14 computers that need to swap this much information is byond me, but your
15 point is i guess sound. good luck finding a PC with 10 pci slots so
16 that you can achieve gigabit speeds on 100-tx hardware ;)
17 --
18 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list