From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Router for ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:40:56
1 On Monday 08 January 2007 09:53, Dan <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote about 'Re:
2 [gentoo-user] [OT] Router for ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy':
3 > I am not sure what you mean by this, but I do hope you'll consider
4 > using a normal commodity PC as your router.
5
6 He's already got a home router. Some Netgear model (see below).
7
8 If the only thing your network is accessing the Internet, then a PC can
9 work as a router effectively. However, if you want to take advantage of
10 gigabit speeds (or more than a dozen 100mbit ports) you'll definitely want
11 a dedicated solution -- the PCI bus just can't keep up. Maybe there's a
12 solution in PCIe or PCI-X, since they do increase bandwidth, but I've yet
13 to see a standard PC configured to handle that much bandwidth.
14
15 > are you sure you want the internet traffic to go through the wifi
16 > provider's ISP, through the worldwide web (tracepath gives routes that
17 > you may find surprising for traffic in the neighborhood will often go
18 > accross the nation for me), back through your home ISP, and into your
19 > home network, then back again through your home ISP and back into the
20 > world to the computer whose website you are attempting to browse? That's
21 > a pretty convoluted trip.
22
23 Well, by making that trip he does prevent attempts to sniff his data by the
24 wifi provider (or when using non-secure wifi, anyone within range of his
25 transmission). It sounds like he's setting up a ssh tunnel from a trusted
26 system (his laptop) to another trusted system (his router) so his
27 (plaintext) data can't be intercepted. (It could be intercepted as
28 ciphertext but there's no good attacks against as ssh tunnel.)
29
30 Note that SSL/TLS traffic doesn't gain any security by going though the
31 tunnel and unencrypted traffic can still be sniffed on it's way between
32 the trusted router and the server.
35 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
36 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
37 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
38 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh