From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] running mldonkey with umask 0002
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:58:31
1 On September 20, 2005 03:03 am Holly Bostick was like:
2 > Frankly, I avoided the entire 'user p2p' issue by editing
3 > /etc/conf.d/mldonkey:
4 >
5 > # owner of mlnet process (don't change, must be existing)
6 > USER="me"
7 >
8 > # home dir of owner (don't change, must be existing)
9 > BASEDIR="/home/me"
10
11 I know it probably wouldn't do too much harm to run mldonkey as user robert
12 because I am probably not a juicy enough target for your hackers and whatnot,
13 but I do feel reassured by the extra security and would rather not give it
14 up.
15
16 Also, there is a more general issue here, to do with the Gentoo way of calling
17 the start-stop-daemon script in the init.d scripts, which seems to make it
18 impossible to set umask within those init.d scripts. AFAIK some other
19 distros, such as Mandrake, construct their init.d scripts differently and
20 therefore avoid this problem. The inclusion of a --umask option in
21 start-stop-daemon would obviously solve this. I just want to check that
22 there is no workaround before I file an enhancement request in the bugzilla.
23 --
24 Robert Persson
25
26 "Don't use nuclear weapons to troubleshoot faults."
27 (US Air Force Instruction 91-111, 1 Oct 1997)
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list