From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] running mldonkey with umask 0002
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:10:04
1 Robert Persson schreef:
2 > I would like to run mldonkey with umask 0002. However I cannot work
3 > out how to do this. The Gentoo version of /etc/init.d/mldonkey
4 > calls start-stop-daemon, but start-stop-daemon doesn't have a umask
5 > option.
8 > As mldonkey is the only program that runs as user p2p, I would be
9 > happy if I could get all programs launched by p2p to run with umask
10 > 0002, but I can't work out how to do that either.
11 >
12 > Can anyone help me with this?
13 >
14 > Many thanks Robert
15
16 Frankly, I avoided the entire 'user p2p' issue by editing
17 /etc/conf.d/mldonkey:
18
19 # owner of mlnet process (don't change, must be existing)
20 USER="me"
21
22 # home dir of owner (don't change, must be existing)
23 BASEDIR="/home/me"
24
25 Whoever wrote the 'don't change' note can bite me-- with the original
26 settings, I wound up with a new user's $HOME directory, solely to
27 contain ~/.mldonkey. This seriously cheesed me off, because I was simply
28 trying out the daemon after I had logged into a new WM, while in my past
29 login I had been trying out Sancho (which is pretty nice), and because I
30 didn't know so much about how it was organized, I had run mlnet
31 standalone. I therefore had files in progress in my own ~/.mldonkey folder.
32 These of course were not picked up by user p2p (unless I wanted to go
33 around symlinking, which I didn't, since I didn't even want some rogue
34 user $HOME directory in the first place).
35
36 But I'm not running the mldonkey service from another PC, so I
37 can do that. Of course, since I'm not running the server (or the
38 service) from another PC than the client, I don't actually (seeem to)
39 need the service running (on a permanent basis via rc-update) anyway.
40 But if I change my mind and decide to use it despite that, at least it
41 should now pick up my currently-running transfers and settings instead
42 of making a whole new clean setup. I was pretty annoyed by that (hence
43 the 'bite me').
44
45 I found that "(don't change, must be existing)" comment confusing and
46 alarming, especially since the user p2p was (naturally) *not* existing
47 before I ran the daemon the first time (I saw it being created in the
48 output), so 'must be existing' wasn't even true, and 'don't change'
49 contradicts 'must be existing' anyway (why must the user be existing if
50 you aren't changing the user to a different pre-existing user)?
51
52 I hope this helps, but I am by no means an mldonkey expert, so I could
53 be wrong, or wrong for your setup.
54
55 Holly
56 --