From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PORTAGE_ELOG error
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:11:18
1 Mick schrieb:
2 > On Tuesday 25 July 2006 19:42, Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >> Grant schrieb:
4 >> >> > I thought this
5 >> >> > thread was saying using SMTP was optional.
6 >> >>
7 >> >> You misunderstood. This thread was about, *WHERE* SMTP is used.
8 >> >> IMO, it's wrong that portage even CAN use SMTP. But nearly always,
9 >> >> you'll need to use some SMTP server to get your mail out. But
10 >> >> with the /usr/sbin/sendmail interface, it's conceivable to send
11 >> >> out the mail WITHOUT the use of SMTP (eg. if the mail is sent from
12 >> >> the host with UUCP).
13 >> >
14 >> > Can I set my portage elog mail to be sent with UUCP?
15 >>
16 >> Yes, by employing a sending program, which can do UUCP. /usr/sbin/sendmail
17 >> could be such a programm.
18 >
19 > Is there some way of sending such messages to a local MUA without them leaving
20 > the box?
21
22 How's the MUA accessing the mailbox? Is it /var/spool/mail/$username?
23
24 Anyway, the answer is: Yes. Use /usr/sbin/sendmail as the "mailserver"
25 in you MAILURI.
26
27 You cannot use SSMTP as your MTA (/usr/sbin/sendmail), though. You might
28 want to check out esmtp, as it can do local delivery by using an MDA like
29 procmail. With esmtp, such a scenario would be possible.
30
31 > If I understand this correctly in all options discussed here the
32 > messages will leave the box via SMTP/UUCP, reach the ISP servers, then the
33 > relevant (e.g. mail.yahoo.com) mailserver and finally back to the local box
34 > as incoming mail on the user MUA.
35
36 That's probably the flow which can be found most often, yes. But it's
37 not necessary to be that way.
38
39 Alexander Skwar
40 --