From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PORTAGE_ELOG error
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:25:55
1 On Tuesday 25 July 2006 19:42, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Grant schrieb:
3 > >> > I thought this
4 > >> > thread was saying using SMTP was optional.
5 > >>
6 > >> You misunderstood. This thread was about, *WHERE* SMTP is used.
7 > >> IMO, it's wrong that portage even CAN use SMTP. But nearly always,
8 > >> you'll need to use some SMTP server to get your mail out. But
9 > >> with the /usr/sbin/sendmail interface, it's conceivable to send
10 > >> out the mail WITHOUT the use of SMTP (eg. if the mail is sent from
11 > >> the host with UUCP).
12 > >
13 > > Can I set my portage elog mail to be sent with UUCP?
14 >
15 > Yes, by employing a sending program, which can do UUCP. /usr/sbin/sendmail
16 > could be such a programm.
17
18 Is there some way of sending such messages to a local MUA without them leaving
19 the box? If I understand this correctly in all options discussed here the
20 messages will leave the box via SMTP/UUCP, reach the ISP servers, then the
21 relevant (e.g. mail.yahoo.com) mailserver and finally back to the local box
22 as incoming mail on the user MUA.
23 --
24 Regards,
25 Mick