From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 10:33:38
1 On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 05:15:01AM +0000, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > hi - recently i heard some guys were suffering in
3 > this list from keepassxc, which reminded me of my
4 > my own. so i finally decided to put an end to
5 > this in 404 lines of py code:
6 >
7 > https://github.com/Al-Caveman/nsapass
8
9 I haven't downloaded it yet, but I think you should rephrase the README on the
10 GitHub page. Instead of constantly explaining the reasons you dislike KeePassXC
11 in particular, it would be more attractive to explain the merits of your _own_
12 program, and why people---who may have never used any password-manager---should
13 download NSAPass. There are also quite a few spelling and grammar mistakes,
14 which I suggest you fix before tagging the next release.
15
16 It is not my place to criticise your opposition to capital letters (although I
17 do not personally understand it myself), but if you want to garner a serious a
18 serious user-base, you will need to write your README and code comments in a
19 more professional manner. Currently, users and contributors might be repelled.
20
21 Irrelevant aside. You mention that one of the reasons that NSAPass is superior
22 to KeePassXC is the GitHub-generated distributions of languages: please realise
23 that this is often grossly inaccurate, and is probably not something on which
24 you should capitalise in your critique of the project. Rest assured, the entire
25 project is written in C++, with header files being erroneously classified as
26 plain C [1]. The Objective C++ is a very small proportion of the entire
27 codebase, used for MacOSX-specific builds, and everything else just consists of
28 build utilities and scripts. Thankfully, GitHub uses `linguist` for automatic
29 language-detection, which supports a manual override [2], although this feature
30 is unknown to most.
31
32 Although it's wonderful that you're writing good code for others to use (and one
33 of the best ways to learn programming), it is not a good idea to start your
34 endeavours by placing the logo of a seven-year-matured project with over
35 two-hundred contributors and many commercial sponsors next to some clip-art of
36 an unpleasant animalistic product (the most courteous description of which I
37 could think) and some out-of-date cheese.
38
39 Other than the "vanity" issues, it looks alright; you've clearly put quite a bit
40 of effort into its development. Once it's matured for a few more months, and you
41 pick up a small user-base, you could post it to Gentoo-Dev (as I did with my
42 latest project [3]) and see if it gets picked up by anyone wanting to put it
43 into the Portage tree (gentoo.git).
44
45 Hope this helps,
46 Ashley.