From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others)
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 16:30:42
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Friday, July 17, 2020 2:32 PM, Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > I haven't downloaded it yet, but I think you should rephrase the README on the
5 > GitHub page. Instead of constantly explaining the reasons you dislike KeePassXC
6 > in particular, it would be more attractive to explain the merits of your own
7 > program, and why people---who may have never used any password-manager---should
8 > download NSAPass. There are also quite a few spelling and grammar mistakes,
9 > which I suggest you fix before tagging the next release.
10
11 thanks. yeah, i should add a section probably for
12 totally new people. but not sure i have the time
13 for this, which is why i also communicated my
14 ideas in the most efficient way my brain can
15 produce.
16
17 i also agree with you that not expressing dislike
18 towards an app may help me make new friends,
19 because unfortunately we live in a time where
20 people get triggered by almost anything.
21
22 but imo there is another side to it: if we let
23 fear take from us our right to express dislike
24 towards an ``app'' then next generation people
25 will have more buggy software. do we want our
26 children, or grand children, to have more bugs?
27 1st step starts here!
28
29 i also don't get why one shouldn't express his
30 dislike towards an ``app''. ``don't insult my
31 app'' is now a thing?
32
33 imo if ppl keep advancing towards this direction,
34 we'll end up getting detached from reality, and
35 live in an abstract space where everyone is 100%
36 happy despite the fact being 100% out of touch
37 with reality (ultimately).
38
39 > It is not my place to criticise your opposition to capital letters (although I
40 > do not personally understand it myself), but if you want to garner a serious a
41 > serious user-base, you will need to write your README and code comments in a
42 > more professional manner. Currently, users and contributors might be repelled.
43
44 that's fine. i made this app to address a
45 requirement of mine, then shared it in case it
46 helps others. if someone doesn't want to use my
47 app that's fine. i'd still use it regardless.
48
49 if someone is too superficial/arrogant and picks
50 on unrelated issues (e.g. use of capitals), then
51 tbh i may actually prefer him to not use my
52 app. so in a sense not using capitals is a
53 feature. superficial/arrogant people are sort of
54 vandalizes as they occupy a communication channel
55 only to end up wasting time in unproductive
56 discussions.
59 > Irrelevant aside. You mention that one of the reasons that NSAPass is superior
60 > to KeePassXC is the GitHub-generated distributions of languages: please realise
61 > that this is often grossly inaccurate, and is probably not something on which
62 > you should capitalise in your critique of the project. Rest assured, the entire
63 > project is written in C++, with header files being erroneously classified as
64 > plain C [1]. The Objective C++ is a very small proportion of the entire
65 > codebase, used for MacOSX-specific builds, and everything else just consists of
66 > build utilities and scripts. Thankfully, GitHub uses `linguist` for automatic
67 > language-detection, which supports a manual override [2], although this feature
68 > is unknown to most.
69
70 yeah, however, two points:
71
72 (1) imo build utilities is still part of the app
73 since the app cannot run without them. imo we
74 may call them ``build-time parts of the app'',
75 which will still affect the run-time of the
76 app. so it is still a relevant indicator of
77 project's complexity imo. otoh, nsapass uses
78 a single py file for everything, hence none of
79 that complexity.
80
81 (2) my main reason for that is to show that they
82 are implemented mostly in c++ which is a nice
83 tool to lose a leg (as bjarne stroustrup puts
84 it). so if it's 100% c++, then it's even
85 scarier.
88 > Although it's wonderful that you're writing good code for others to use (and one
89 > of the best ways to learn programming), it is not a good idea to start your
90 > endeavours by placing the logo of a seven-year-matured project with over
91 > two-hundred contributors and many commercial sponsors next to some clip-art of
92 > an unpleasant animalistic product (the most courteous description of which I
93 > could think) and some out-of-date cheese.
94
95 (1) it makes it more efficient because a person
96 who looks at the image, and didnt' still read
97 much of the text, he'd be more likely to tell
98 from the graph that ``yeah complexity is bad''
99 (thanks to the clip arts).
100
101 (2) it's funny imo. playfulness is a prerequisite
102 of creativity. imo it's good to play around a
103 bit. the opposite to it is "efficiency" i
104 guess? if we operate in an efficient mode,
105 then we will are optimized for completing
106 paperwork-like tasks, but with much less
107 creativity.
108
109 (3) imo keepassxc's devs are too smart to be
110 emotionally hurt because random neckbeard in
111 the interwebs doesn't like their apps.
112
113 but, hypothetically, in case there existed a
114 dev who gets triggered by such things, then it
115 is an indication of low intelligence which
116 is yet another reason to not run his code.
117
118 this video is not very related, but thought
119 sharing it might help, since i think this problem
120 is a special case of a much bigger problem, and a
121 battle that we're losing generation after
122 generation:
123
124 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtWrljX9HRA
127 > Other than the "vanity" issues, it looks alright; you've clearly put quite a bit
128 > of effort into its development. Once it's matured for a few more months, and you
129 > pick up a small user-base, you could post it to Gentoo-Dev (as I did with my
130 > latest project [3]) and see if it gets picked up by anyone wanting to put it
131 > into the Portage tree (gentoo.git).
132
133 nice tip. ty. highly appreciate your time.
134
135 rgrds,
136 cm