From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others)
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 18:29:39
1 On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 04:30:22PM +0000, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > i also agree with you that not expressing dislike
3 > towards an app may help me make new friends,
4 > because unfortunately we live in a time where
5 > people get triggered by almost anything.
6
7 I did not mention people getting "triggered", and certainly did not imply it.
8 Before an unfortunate web-search, I did not even know the meaning of that term.
9
10 > but imo there is another side to it: if we let
11 > fear take from us our right to express dislike
12 > towards an ``app'' then next generation people
13 > will have more buggy software. do we want our
14 > children, or grand children, to have more bugs?
15 > 1st step starts here!
16
17 Yes. I have a one-year-old daughter, and I have been telling her from a young
18 age to replace matured code-bases with four-hundred lines of Python coupled with
19 docs that look like they've been written by a victim of "shift-key-theft: the
20 coolest of all crimes." (Professor, Futurama) ;-)
21
22 More seriously, your view of software development is quite severely warped. More
23 on this below.
24
25 > i also don't get why one shouldn't express his
26 > dislike towards an ``app''. ``don't insult my
27 > app'' is now a thing?
28
29 You have reduced rational debate with KeePassXC's coding styles to the point
30 seen on your GitHub README. I don't think it's still rational debate, at this
31 stage.
32
33 > imo if ppl keep advancing towards this direction,
34 > we'll end up getting detached from reality, and
35 > live in an abstract space where everyone is 100%
36 > happy despite the fact being 100% out of touch
37 > with reality (ultimately).
38
39 This sociological position may be valid, but please understand that I was not
40 suggesting you "don't insult" them. But placing a picture of a shit next to
41 their project name based solely on the fact it is written in C++ instead of
42 Python, does not cast your project (or you) in the greatest of lights.
43
44 I'm not sure why you're so against C++ ? It is certainly not perfect, as it
45 allows inherently poorly written code (Java, for example, tries to enforce good
46 coding styles a bit more), but that is no reason to (quite literally) shit on
47 any project/programmers using it. Having a quick review of the KeePassXC code-
48 base, I can say with reasonable confidence, that it is written to a very
49 professional standard.
50
51 >> [Re: Usage (or lack thereof) of Capital Letters]
52
53 > that's fine. i made this app to address a
54 > requirement of mine, then shared it in case it
55 > helps others. if someone doesn't want to use my
56 > app that's fine. i'd still use it regardless.
57
58 That's OK. I have no problem with that, aside from not personally understanding
59 it myself. However, the complete lack of capital letters does make your project
60 look juvenile.
61
62 > if someone is too superficial/arrogant and picks
63 > on unrelated issues (e.g. use of capitals), then
64 > tbh i may actually prefer him to not use my
65 > app. so in a sense not using capitals is a
66 > feature. superficial/arrogant people are sort of
67 > vandalizes as they occupy a communication channel
68 > only to end up wasting time in unproductive
69 > discussions.
70
71 However, I do have a rather significant issue with you calling those you dare to
72 use the English language correctly "superficial" and "arrogant". I'm not going
73 to say too much here, as I don't want to get into an argument over something
74 completely off-topic, but I strongly advise that you stop confusing "cool,
75 quirky, and different" with "semantically incorrect".
76
77 The best way to make your project stand out is to make it of exceptionally
78 quality, usability, and stability. You really don't want the complete lack of
79 spelling and grammar to be your entire project's unique claim-to-fame.
80
81 >> [Re: GitHub Distribution of Languages]
82
83 > yeah, however, two points:
84 >
85 > (1) imo build utilities is still part of the app
86 > since the app cannot run without them. imo we
87 > may call them ``build-time parts of the app'',
88 > which will still affect the run-time of the
89 > app. so it is still a relevant indicator of
90 > project's complexity imo. otoh, nsapass uses
91 > a single py file for everything, hence none of
92 > that complexity.
93
94 The fact that a project _has_ a build utility is a really, really poor vector of
95 attack. If the build utility did not work, or was a virus, or _anything other
96 than a good build utility_, then you may use that to discredit the project.
97 However, criticising the mere existence of a few Makefiles and automated testing
98 scripts is a monumentally BAD idea.
99
100 It turns out that they exist to aid the main code-base.
101
102 > (2) my main reason for that is to show that they
103 > are implemented mostly in c++ which is a nice
104 > tool to lose a leg (as bjarne stroustrup puts
105 > it). so if it's 100% c++, then it's even
106 > scarier.
107
108 C and C++ are certainly double-edged swords; I've been writing code in C since I
109 was about twelve years of age. Fortunately, the nice thing about a double-edged
110 sword is that one of the "edges" work in your favour. If you (over two-hundred-
111 and-thirty individual contributors) work at ensuring the quality of a project
112 over a period of seven years, in whatever language, it's very likely that few
113 legs are to be lost.
114
115 You're essentially saying that all C++ code is of poor quality. Do you honestly
116 think that such an observation is correct ?
117
118 >> [Re: Usage of Arguably Ill-Chosen Clip-Art]
119
120 > (1) it makes it more efficient because a person
121 > who looks at the image, and didnt' still read
122 > much of the text, he'd be more likely to tell
123 > from the graph that ``yeah complexity is bad''
124 > (thanks to the clip arts).
125
126 If people look at the image and don't read the text, then they will be
127 misinformed. I must say, this is probably the weirdest and most invalid method
128 of attacking another project I've ever seen: the GitHub-generated distribution
129 of languages ? Please do not take offence, but I cannot resist laughing while
130 writing this; your method of advertising a product it is quite absurd.
131
132 > (2) it's funny imo. playfulness is a prerequisite
133 > of creativity. imo it's good to play around a
134 > bit. the opposite to it is "efficiency" i
135 > guess? if we operate in an efficient mode,
136 > then we will are optimized for completing
137 > paperwork-like tasks, but with much less
138 > creativity.
139
140 If you want to be creative, invent a new algorithm or program that is
141 indubitably superior to its predecessor, much like chip designers are doing
142 today. People will appreciate and respect new, beneficial ideas much more than a
143 few layers of free clip-art put together in GIMP.
144
145 > (3) imo keepassxc's devs are too smart to be
146 > emotionally hurt because random neckbeard in
147 > the interwebs doesn't like their apps.
148
149 I don't know how smart the developers are, and you're correct that you shouldn't
150 really worry about "hurting their feelings" (as they're probably all adults).
151 With my critique of your project's "image", I was talking less of the ways in
152 which you annoy someone else, but to the extents to which your comments on
153 existing technologies reflect on your project.
154
155 > this video is not very related, but thought
156 > sharing it might help, since i think this problem
157 > is a special case of a much bigger problem, and a
158 > battle that we're losing generation after
159 > generation:
160 >
161 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtWrljX9HRA
162
163 I am not trying to stifle your freedom of speech, but I am trying to convince
164 you that it is important to provide a balanced analysis of previous
165 technologies. Doing so will probably significantly aid the development of your
166 program, as you can borrow ideas and build upon them.
167
168 As a prominent Gentoo developer once told me, "you do need to take a different
169 look at the world". You also need to understand the meaning of "freedom of
170 speech", as this is something about which many of the younger generations are
171 confused: I am not a Governmental organisation, I am not trying to detain you
172 for your views, and your right to freedom of speech does not protect you from
173 all critique.
174
175 Hope this helps,
176 Ashley.
177
178 P.S. I have not yet watched that Oxford Union video, but I will do when I get
179 some time. Cheers for the link; those speeches are generally interesting.
183 Ashley Dixon
184 suugaku.co.uk
185
186 2A9A 4117