From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 07:30:57
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Saturday, July 18, 2020 10:28 PM, Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > This sociological position may be valid, but please understand that I was not
5 > suggesting you "don't insult" them. But placing a picture of a shit next to
6 > their project name based solely on the fact it is written in C++ instead of
7 > Python, does not cast your project (or you) in the greatest of lights.
8
9 i don't see the problem. the unicode consortium
10 says the pile of sh*t is a normal character.
11
12 alternatively, i can replace the sh*t character by
13 a blown off leg, alongside the bjarne stroustrup
14 quote about c++.
15
16 > I'm not sure why you're so against C++ ? It is certainly not perfect, as it
17 > allows inherently poorly written code (Java, for example, tries to enforce good
18 > coding styles a bit more), but that is no reason to (quite literally) shit on
19 > any project/programmers using it. Having a quick review of the KeePassXC code-
20 > base, I can say with reasonable confidence, that it is written to a very
21 > professional standard.
22
23 i'm not universally against c++, but i'm against
24 it for a passwords manager, because it needlessly
25 re-invents many wheels including memory management
26 which is already done in other languages, such as
27 python. and a passwords manager is too critical
28 to risk re-inventing such wheels.
29
30 and keepassxc is full of segfaults [1]
31
32 [1] https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepassxc/issues?q=segfault
33
34 > That's OK. I have no problem with that, aside from not personally understanding
35 > it myself. However, the complete lack of capital letters does make your project
36 > look juvenile.
37
38 thanks. that's a feature. it's by design. i
39 hope my writing style functions as repellent of
40 superficial ppl.
41
42 > However, I do have a rather significant issue with you calling those you dare to
43 > use the English language correctly "superficial" and "arrogant".
44
45 i didn't say that. people are free to waste their
46 time by capitalizing what they want. people are
47 also free to advise others on wat they think is
48 better.
49
50 but what i'm saying is different: if someone
51 rejects my app simply because i don't capetalize
52 in my writings in README.md, then nothx don't use
53 my app.
54
55 > I'm not going
56 > to say too much here, as I don't want to get into an argument over something
57 > completely off-topic, but I strongly advise that you stop confusing "cool,
58 > quirky, and different" with "semantically incorrect".
59
60 you already did, but thx for advise.
61
62 > The best way to make your project stand out is to make it of exceptionally
63 > quality, usability, and stability. You really don't want the complete lack of
64 > spelling and grammar to be your entire project's unique claim-to-fame.
65
66 it's already more stable than keepassxc. spelling
67 of README.md is unrelated.
68
69 nsapass is slightly over 400 lines of py code.
70 super easy to audit. one doesn't need to guess
71 code reliability based on my spelling in
72 README.md.
73
74 alternatively, if my spelling in README.md is too
75 scary/offensive, people are free to use the
76 thousands of c++ lines of keepassxc code and
77 segfault away from me.
78
79 > The fact that a projecthas a build utility is a really, really poor vector of
80 > attack. If the build utility did not work, or was a virus, or anything other
81 > than a good build utility, then you may use that to discredit the project.However, criticising the mere existence of a few Makefiles and automated testing
82 > scripts is a monumentally BAD idea.
83
84 true, but that's not my point. my point is the
85 increased complexity by itself, from an
86 occam-razorian point of view.
87
88 this is a logical consequence that follows once
89 you accept that every assumption has a positive
90 probability of error, by definition.
91
92 then fancier build setup is effectively equivalent
93 to requiring more assumptions.
96 > It turns out that they exist to aid the main code-base.
97
98 true, their main code-base system needs extra
99 assumptions in order to operate.
100
101 > C and C++ are certainly double-edged swords; I've been writing code in C since I
102 > was about twelve years of age. Fortunately, the nice thing about a double-edged
103 > sword is that one of the "edges" work in your favour. If you (over two-hundred-
104 > and-thirty individual contributors) work at ensuring the quality of a project
105 > over a period of seven years, in whatever language, it's very likely that few
106 > legs are to be lost.
107
108 true. in some apps c/c++ is superior thanks to
109 performance or lower level system management.
110
111 > You're essentially saying that all C++ code is of poor quality. Do you honestly
112 > think that such an observation is correct ?
113
114 no. thats a strawman. you're ignoring the
115 context: passwords manager. i'm sayin, c++ is an
116 overkill for a passwords manager.
117
118 feel free to use c++ for lower level
119 things like a games engine that demands high
120 performance, in fact i'd recommend c/c++ for some
121 cases, such as a gaming engine, or stuff that need
122 high throughput/low latency.
123
124 but c++ for a passwords manager? nothx, i don't
125 want to risk funny memory bugs around my dear
126 passwords.
127
128 > If people look at the image and don't read the text, then they will be
129 > misinformed.
130
131 i don't see where is the misinformation. it's all
132 around occam's razor and characters approved by
133 the unicode consortium.
134
135 > I must say, this is probably the weirdest and most invalid method
136 > of attacking another project I've ever seen: the GitHub-generated distribution
137 > of languages ? Please do not take offence, but I cannot resist laughing while
138 > writing this; your method of advertising a product it is quite absurd.
139
140 dunno, imo it's just an honest, direct and
141 down-to-earth approach to express project's
142 stance. if they disagree, they are free to put
143 "nsapass" around other unicode characters of their
144 choice. the unicode consortium is generous.
145
146 i hope all open source projects adopt this style,
147 and stop being too serious about their apps.
148 because, imo, many devs or founders kinda act as
149 if they are some sacred space unicorns, or as if
150 their apps are "holy".
151
152 and, imo, this style is not new. i think this is
153 how people in the open source community used to be
154 decades ago (before people got detached from
155 reality and started living in another imaginary
156 dimension with all the needlessly dramatic CoCs.
157 they probably watched too much twilight).
158
159 > If you want to be creative, invent a new algorithm or program that is
160 > indubitably superior to its predecessor, much like chip designers are doing
161 > today. People will appreciate and respect new, beneficial ideas much more than a
162 > few layers of free clip-art put together in GIMP.
163
164 not mutually exclusive, and 2nd part is strawman
165 (nsapass is more than layers of GIMP; the layers
166 of GIMP is only part of the README.md content for
167 honest and to the point dissemination of content).
168
169 > I am not trying to stifle your freedom of speech, but I am trying to convince
170 > you that it is important to provide a balanced analysis of previous
171 > technologies. Doing so will probably significantly aid the development of your
172 > program, as you can borrow ideas and build upon them.
173
174 thanks for trying. highly appreciate your time
175 and efforts. but tbh there is no way i see to
176 justify re-invented wheels in c++ for a passwords
177 manager.
178
179 > As a prominent Gentoo developer once told me, "you do need to take a different
180 > look at the world". You also need to understand the meaning of "freedom of
181 > speech", as this is something about which many of the younger generations are
182 > confused: I am not a Governmental organisation, I am not trying to detain you
183 > for your views, and your right to freedom of speech does not protect you from
184 > all critique.
185
186 looks like an appeal to authority. plus that
187 gentoo dev's quote is wrong.
188
189 the key is not to have a "different" view. the
190 key is to be open minded to explore different
191 views in order to discover the "correct" view,
192 then stick to it, while still being open to look
193 around. but once you find the correct view, you
194 don't leave it for the sake of adopting a
195 different view.