From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Movie editing softeware
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:46:06
1 On 22/12/2021 16:17, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2021-12-21, Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Note that some editing software can only cut at the iframes, and
5 >> it's also fairly common to only be able to cut at the iframes unless
6 >> it's re-encoding the data.
7 >
8 > AFAIUI, it's not even theoretically possible to cut anyplace other
9 > than the I-frames without decoding and reencoding at least the portion
10 > of the stream where the cut is being made. While it might be possible
11 > to copy the rest of the stream, I don't know of any editors that will
12 > do that.
13 >
14 What is an i-frame? As I understood it, typically when you had a scene
15 change, a frame was written in full, then subsequent frames were stored
16 as diffs. Is that what an i-frame is?
17
18 In which case, surely it can't be that tricky to delete a block without
19 having to decode/encode more than a few frames?
20
21 And how come PVRs do it so easily?
22
23 Cheers,