From: Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Movie editing softeware
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:27:40
1 Wol schrieb am 22.12.21 um 19:45:
2 > What is an i-frame? As I understood it, typically when you had a scene
3 > change, a frame was written in full, then subsequent frames were stored
4 > as diffs. Is that what an i-frame is?
5
6 Wikipedia [1] to the help.
7
8 > In which case, surely it can't be that tricky to delete a block without
9 > having to decode/encode more than a few frames?
10
11 Encoding only the affected region is tricky because you need to use the
12 same codec parameters (encoding profile, resolution, colour space, FPS,
13 bit depth, bitrate, and possibly more parameters which are also codec
14 dependent) like the rest of the unaffected portion of the video to be
15 able to concatenate it again afterwards with the rest of the video. Also
16 it is tricky to keep video an audio in sync when having a lot of cut
17 points. Probably there are other issues depending on the required
18 codecs. So making it work for every codec even only for the popular ones
19 might be a lot of work.
20
21 TTCut can do "smart cutting" by encoding only the affected GOP [2].
22 However it only works for Mpeg2 Video and Mpeg2 Audio or Dolby AC-3
23 Audio. I have not tested it but VidCutter [3] should also be capable of
24 doing so and as I see there is no restriction on the codecs. They are
25 the only ones I am aware of supporting this feature and they are
26 packaged for Gentoo.
27
28 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types
29 [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures