From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Movie editing softeware
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 18:23:57
1 On 22/12/2021 19:27, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > Wol schrieb am 22.12.21 um 19:45:
3 >> What is an i-frame? As I understood it, typically when you had a scene
4 >> change, a frame was written in full, then subsequent frames were
5 >> stored as diffs. Is that what an i-frame is?
6 >
7 > Wikipedia [1] to the help.
8 >
9 >> In which case, surely it can't be that tricky to delete a block
10 >> without having to decode/encode more than a few frames?
11 >
12 > Encoding only the affected region is tricky because you need to use the
13 > same codec parameters (encoding profile, resolution, colour space, FPS,
14 > bit depth, bitrate, and possibly more parameters which are also codec
15 > dependent) like the rest of the unaffected portion of the video to be
16 > able to concatenate it again afterwards with the rest of the video. Also
17 > it is tricky to keep video an audio in sync when having a lot of cut
18 > points. Probably there are other issues depending on the required
19 > codecs. So making it work for every codec even only for the popular ones
20 > might be a lot of work.
21 >
22 > TTCut can do "smart cutting" by encoding only the affected GOP [2].
23 > However it only works for Mpeg2 Video and Mpeg2 Audio or Dolby AC-3
24 > Audio. I have not tested it but VidCutter [3] should also be capable of
25 > doing so and as I see there is no restriction on the codecs. They are
26 > the only ones I am aware of supporting this feature and they are
27 > packaged for Gentoo.
28 >
29 > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types
30 > [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures
31 > [3] https://github.com/ozmartian/vidcutter
32 >
33 Cue another bout of screaming.
34
35 TTCut doesn't recognise .ts, and when force-fed just crashes.
36
37 Vidcutter won't emerge - its dependency mpv bombs with
38
39 Checking for wayland-scanner
40 : no
41 You manually enabled the feature 'wayland-scanner', but the
42 autodetection check failed.
43 * ERROR: media-video/mpv-0.33.1-r2::gentoo failed (configure phase):
44 * configure failed
45
46 Now where would I have enabled wayland-scanner?
47
48 Cheers,
49 Wol