From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge world looking grim
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 10:28:20
1 On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 10:19:42PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > My gentoo OS is running on Openindiana (solaris) inside oracle's vbox.
3 >
4 > It's been left setting for at least 4-5 months maybe a couple more.
5 >
6 > After eix-sync, attempting an `emerge vuND world' comes up with so
7 > many blocks, use flag changes and a variety of other bad news in
8 > such proliferation... I'm thinking better to install from scratch with
9 > latest ISO.
10 >
11 > ,----
12 > | NOTE: The full mess can be viewed here:
13 > |
14 > | zeus.jtan.com/~reader/vutxt/images/emerge_MassiveFailure-150823.txt
15 > `----
16
17 No, this really shouldn't be that bad. Look at the list of updates and
18 apply certain updates first. glibc and gcc should probably be updated
19 first, so just run:
20
21 emerge -uDN1 glibc
22
23 Since gcc-config could not find gcc 4.7, it is marked as stable, and
24 emerge was not trying to install it, you must have a version hard-coded
25 in `/var/lib/portage/world`. For now, to upgrade gcc you can just grab
26 the newest version:
27
28 emerge --oneshot gcc
29
30 From then on, it should go relatively smoothly, since emerge was
31 handling all of the blockers.
32
33 > Can anyone advise me which iso to use? And which profile to set for
34 > general use in a vbox, hopefully to allow a `no sweat' emerge to a
35 > full OS.
36
37 As Jc Garcia mentioned, Gentoo is not a `no sweat' distro.
38
39 Alec