From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 00:48:01
1 On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 12:12:07AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
2
3 > You can disagree as much as you like, but with the size of drives and
4 > the current error rate of consumer hard drives it is not a question of
5 > 'if' but just a matter of 'when'.
6
7 It's not just the drive; it's the entire PC. My main desktop at home
8 has had a few panics recently. It's several years old, and I'll be
9 getting rid of it, because I can't really trust it. I've switched to my
10 "hot backup", and am currently setting up a new machine as the new "hot
11 backup". After doing the initial Gentoo install, I copied over the
12 config files, with appropriate changes. I copied /var/lib/portage/world
13 and launched "emerge --changed-use --deep --update @world". A few
14 minutes ago, emerge was on package 228 of 337.
15
16 I have 3 USB backup drives and I use them all. This does not include
17 the monthly copying over of /home/waltdnes and /home/misc from the main
18 desktop to the "hot backup".
19
20 BTW, this is probably the first email sent out from this machine to
21 the Gentoo list.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications