From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 22:12:15
1 Am 07.09.2016 um 08:18 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On 07/09/2016 01:57, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am 01.09.2016 um 11:01 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
4 >>> On 01/09/2016 09:18, gevisz wrote:
5 >>>> 2016-09-01 9:13 GMT+03:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
6 >>>>> On 01/09/2016 08:04, gevisz wrote:
7 >>> [snip]
8 >>>
9 >>>>> it will take about 5 seconds to partition it.
10 >>>>> And a few more to mkfs it.
11 >>>> Just to partition - may be, but I very much doubt
12 >>>> that it will take seconds to create a full-fledged
13 >>>> ext4 file system on these 5TB via USB2 connention.
14 >>> Do it. Tell me how long it tool.
15 >>>
16 >>> Discussing it without doing it and offering someone else's opinion is a
17 >>> 100% worthless activity
18 >>>
19 >>>> Even more: my aquiantance from the Window world
20 >>>> that recomended me this disc scared me that it may
21 >>>> take days...
22 >>> Mickey Mouse told me it takes microseconds. So what?
23 >>>
24 >>> Do it. Tell me how long it took.
25 >>>
26 >>>>>> Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
27 >>>>>> into smaller logical ones and why?
28 >>>>> The only reason to partition a drive is to get 2 or more
29 >>>>> smaller ones that differ somehow (size, inode ratio, mount options, etc)
30 >>>>>
31 >>>>> Go with no partition table by all means, but if you one day find you
32 >>>>> need one, you will have to copy all your data off, repartition, and copy
33 >>>>> your data back. If you are certain that will not happen (eg you will
34 >>>>> rather buy a second drive) then by all means dispense with partitions.
35 >>>>>
36 >>>>> They are after all nothing more than a Microsoft invention from the 80s
37 >>>>> so people could install UCSD Pascal next to MS-DOS
38 >>>> I definitely will not need more than one mount point for this hard drive
39 >>>> but I do remember some arguments that partitioning a large hard drive
40 >>>> into smaller logical ones gives me more safety in case a file system
41 >>>> suddenly will get corrupted because in this case I will loose my data
42 >>>> only on one of the logical partitions and not on the whole drive.
43 >>>>
44 >>>> Is this argument still valid nowadays?
45 >>> That is the most stupid dumbass argument I've heard in weeks.
46 >>> It doesn't even deserve a response.
47 >>>
48 >>> Who the fuck is promoting this shit?
49 >>>
50 >>>
51 >> people who had to deal with corrupted filesystems in the past?
54 > The way to deal with the problem of fs corruption is to have reliable
55 > tested backups.
56 >
57 > The wrong way to deal with the problem of fs corruption is to get into
58 > cargo-cult manoeuvrers thinking that lots of little bits making a whole
59 > is going to solve the problem.
60 >
61 > Especially when the part of the disk statistically most at risk is the
62 > valuable data itself. OS code can be rebuilt easily, without backups
63 > data can't.
66 the bigger the drive, the greater the chance of fs corruption. Just by
67 statistics. Better one minor partition is lost than everything.
68
69 You can disagree as much as you like, but with the size of drives and
70 the current error rate of consumer hard drives it is not a question of
71 'if' but just a matter of 'when'.