From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 22:47:27
1 On 08/09/2016 00:12, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 07.09.2016 um 08:18 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 >> On 07/09/2016 01:57, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>> Am 01.09.2016 um 11:01 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
5 >>>> On 01/09/2016 09:18, gevisz wrote:
6 >>>>> 2016-09-01 9:13 GMT+03:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
7 >>>>>> On 01/09/2016 08:04, gevisz wrote:
8 >>>> [snip]
9 >>>>
10 >>>>>> it will take about 5 seconds to partition it.
11 >>>>>> And a few more to mkfs it.
12 >>>>> Just to partition - may be, but I very much doubt
13 >>>>> that it will take seconds to create a full-fledged
14 >>>>> ext4 file system on these 5TB via USB2 connention.
15 >>>> Do it. Tell me how long it tool.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> Discussing it without doing it and offering someone else's opinion is a
18 >>>> 100% worthless activity
19 >>>>
20 >>>>> Even more: my aquiantance from the Window world
21 >>>>> that recomended me this disc scared me that it may
22 >>>>> take days...
23 >>>> Mickey Mouse told me it takes microseconds. So what?
24 >>>>
25 >>>> Do it. Tell me how long it took.
26 >>>>
27 >>>>>>> Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
28 >>>>>>> into smaller logical ones and why?
29 >>>>>> The only reason to partition a drive is to get 2 or more
30 >>>>>> smaller ones that differ somehow (size, inode ratio, mount options, etc)
31 >>>>>>
32 >>>>>> Go with no partition table by all means, but if you one day find you
33 >>>>>> need one, you will have to copy all your data off, repartition, and copy
34 >>>>>> your data back. If you are certain that will not happen (eg you will
35 >>>>>> rather buy a second drive) then by all means dispense with partitions.
36 >>>>>>
37 >>>>>> They are after all nothing more than a Microsoft invention from the 80s
38 >>>>>> so people could install UCSD Pascal next to MS-DOS
39 >>>>> I definitely will not need more than one mount point for this hard drive
40 >>>>> but I do remember some arguments that partitioning a large hard drive
41 >>>>> into smaller logical ones gives me more safety in case a file system
42 >>>>> suddenly will get corrupted because in this case I will loose my data
43 >>>>> only on one of the logical partitions and not on the whole drive.
44 >>>>>
45 >>>>> Is this argument still valid nowadays?
46 >>>> That is the most stupid dumbass argument I've heard in weeks.
47 >>>> It doesn't even deserve a response.
48 >>>>
49 >>>> Who the fuck is promoting this shit?
50 >>>>
51 >>>>
52 >>> people who had to deal with corrupted filesystems in the past?
53 >>>
54 >>>
55 >> The way to deal with the problem of fs corruption is to have reliable
56 >> tested backups.
57 >>
58 >> The wrong way to deal with the problem of fs corruption is to get into
59 >> cargo-cult manoeuvrers thinking that lots of little bits making a whole
60 >> is going to solve the problem.
61 >>
62 >> Especially when the part of the disk statistically most at risk is the
63 >> valuable data itself. OS code can be rebuilt easily, without backups
64 >> data can't.
67 > the bigger the drive, the greater the chance of fs corruption. Just by
68 > statistics. Better one minor partition is lost than everything.
69
70 What are the statistical chances of that one minor partition being the
71 one that gets corrupted? Statistically the odds are very small.
72
73 Think about it, if the minor partition is say 5% of the disk and if all
74 other things are exactly equal, the odds are 1 in 20.
75
76 Apart from inherent defects in the drive itself, the sectors that are
77 more prone to failing are those that are read the most and to a larger
78 extent those that are written the most.
79
80 What is read the most? OS and Data
81 What is written the most? Data
82 What has by far the greatest likelihood of suffering fs corruption? Data
87 > You can disagree as much as you like, but with the size of drives and
88 > the current error rate of consumer hard drives it is not a question of
89 > 'if' but just a matter of 'when'.
92 I don't disagree with you. I'm disagreeing with cargo cult mentality
93 that dividing a disk up into lots of smaller partitions somehow
94 magically confers significant safety margins of some magical kind. Go
95 read the OPs opening statement again, he's quoting a friend from 20
96 years ago and the statement consists entirely of woo-woo magic
97 hand-wavey statements, the kind of shit I have to deal with every day
98 from twits with just enough IQ to read executive white papers.
99
100 Yes, drives fail. Yes, consumer drives are crap. With 3TB now being
101 common place and prices plunging, we have 20G or so for OS and 2980GB
102 full of data. That 20G is so small and immaterial in terms of risk we
103 can just disregard it and assume the only thing that can be damaged is
104 2980G of data.
105
106 Solution: back up the whole damn lot properly and forget what we did 20
107 years ago. That was farting in a breeze, nowadays it's farting in a
108 hurricane.