From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Last rites: app-text/xpdf
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 13:32:47
1 120128 Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
2 >> Is there an alternative which doesn't require eg 'kdelibs' or similar ?
3 >> In my netbook, Xpdf is the only method I have of reading PDFs,
4 >> as I use Fluxbox & don't have KDE installed at all.
5 > It should not stop you from trying okular (kdelibs based)
6
7 Well no ! -- I don't want to have any KDE in my netbook :
8 I use a lot of KDE apps on my desktop, incl Okular, but not in the netbook.
9
10 > and evince (libgnome based). They are really neat.
11 > For lightweight variants you might like to look
12 > at app-text/epdfview and app-text/gsview.
13
14 Thanks for this & other comments + advice.
15
16 I've installed Evince Epdfview Zathura. Evince looks as usable as Xpdf
17 & Epdfview is also simple & effective; Zathura works, but relies largely
18 on keys (ok) & the index toggles, which is not quite as usable.
19 Epdfview has the advantage over Evince that it needs no deps,
20 so that's what I may use in my netbook.
21
22 I also noticed a note in my homemade list of installed pkgs
23 that I had to patch Xpdf to avoid the slow-start problem,
24 so I'm satisfied that it cb consigned to history.
28 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
29 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
30 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca