From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU firewall
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 03:10:05
1 Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 02:48:04PM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
3 >
4 >>I'm using qemu to run the firewall which in turn creates a self flash
5 >>memory image of itself. Maybe you are right though I should look into
6 >>the virtual machine as the framework from which I generate the flash
7 >>image.
10 > I am actually quite interested in the details. What system do you run
11 > on the guest system? OpenBSD? And can you give a brief description of
12 > your network schematics?
13
14 it's not what you imagine. That will need to wait for me to spend time
15 with xen.
16
17 all I'm doing right now is running IPCop in qemu. then using ssh, copy
18 over configuration files, run the build flash image process, copy it
19 back and then iterate to the next configuration.
20
21 I'm trying to eliminate the /boot partition and the process of building
22 a bootable flash image is so fragile that I'm having trouble making all
23 the pieces lined up.
24
25 This is why I was hoping there was some way to create a multi-partition
26 "disk" out of a file and be able to read and write them in the same way
27 we do multi-partition hard drives.
28
29 I am about 30 pico seconds away from finding out if I can mount up the
30 disk image with qemu as a separate drive without spending the 60
31 seconds+ it takes to start up or shut down qemu.hopefully I can make the
32 build process work that way. It might be less pain although making grub
33 work..."oh bother," said Pooh bear.
34
35 ---eric
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list