From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA forgot default device
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 13:37:54
1 On 2022-05-01, John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > These configurations are in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf as to which is
4 > the default sound card and its parameters.
5
6 I believe that file is only used if alsa is a module. I've never
7 configured alsa as a module.
8
9 > The name might not be alsa.conf, but you would have to unload the
10 > module and reload, that is why you had to do a reboot.
11
12 I have always had alsa built in to the kernel, and the default
13 configuration is in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf. That file is the one
14 installed by installed by the emerge, and generally should not be
15 edited. System-wide settings should go in /etc/asound.conf and
16 per-user settings should go in ~/.asoundrc.
17
18 Those files are both included by /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.