From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA forgot default device
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 02:20:14
1 On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:56:11 -0400,
2 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 > On 2022-05-01, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> The usual fallback is wiki.archlinux.org, but its instructions to
7 > >> place the following in /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc doesn't work:
8 > >>
9 > >> defaults.pcm.card 1
10 > >> defaults.ctl.card 1
11 > >
12 > > wiki.gentoo.org is back, and it says to use something like this in /etc/asound.conf
13 > > or ~/asoundrc:
14 > >
15 > > defaults.pcm.!card 1
16 > > defaults.pcm.!device 0
17 > > defaults.ctl.!card 1
18 > >
19 > > That also does nothing. Using card names as shown at
20 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA#Files also does nothing.
21 > >
22 > > Yes, I'm restarting alsasound after changing /etc/asound.conf
23 >
24 > Apparently, restarting alsasound after changing /etc/asound.conf isn't
25 > enough. A reboot was required.
26 >
27 > I never saw that mentioned in any of the half-dozen sources I read
28 > about alsa configuration, so I presume it's a personal problem?
29
30 These configurations are in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf as to which is
31 the default sound card and its parameters. The name might not be
32 alsa.conf, but you would have to unload the module and reload, that is
33 why you had to do a reboot.
36 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
37 How do
38 you spend it?
39
40 John Covici wb2una