From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching default tmpfiles and faster internet coming my way.
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 08:55:09
1 On 2020-12-03 19:40-0600 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Howdy,
4 >
5 > I've mentioned I follow -dev to see what is coming around the corner.
6 > There is a thread on there about switching tmpfiles packages for
7 > security reasons.  I currently have sys-apps/opentmpfiles installed.
8 > I guess that is the default for openrc.  Someone mentioned
9 > systemd-tmpfiles as a alternative that doesn't have the same security
10 > problems.  My question is, is this big enough a problem to switch or
11 > is it safe enough for us to use the same we have been?  It sounds
12 > like a rather rare problem.  Maybe even only during boot up.  I'm not
13 > 100% sure what it does or anything really.  I guess that's why I
14 > con't make sense of switching or not since I'm not sure what the
15 > package does or how serious the security problem is.
16
17 From what I could gather, opentmpfiles is only vulnerable when an
18 attacker is able to put a config file into /etc/tmpfiles.d/, so they
19 have to be already root.
20 Nevertheless I switched to systemd-tmpfiles and it just works and
21 doesn't pull any other systemd-stuff in.
22
23 I don't think it really matters which one you use.
24
25 Kind regards, tastytea
28 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at
29 <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.