From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Switching default tmpfiles and faster internet coming my way.
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 01:41:06
1 Howdy,
2
3 I've mentioned I follow -dev to see what is coming around the corner.
4 There is a thread on there about switching tmpfiles packages for
5 security reasons.  I currently have sys-apps/opentmpfiles installed.  I
6 guess that is the default for openrc.  Someone mentioned
7 systemd-tmpfiles as a alternative that doesn't have the same security
8 problems.  My question is, is this big enough a problem to switch or is
9 it safe enough for us to use the same we have been?  It sounds like a
10 rather rare problem.  Maybe even only during boot up.  I'm not 100% sure
11 what it does or anything really.  I guess that's why I con't make sense
12 of switching or not since I'm not sure what the package does or how
13 serious the security problem is.
14
15 Also, our local power company is about to start rolling out internet
16 service.  It's done with fiber and the slowest package, 200MBs/sec, is
17 over 100 times faster than my current DSL.  It only costs $4.00 a month
18 more than what I'm paying now.  Their fastest package is 1GBs/sec.
19 Dang, I can't even imagine that sort of speed.  Another good thing, same
20 speed BOTH ways.  I can upload videos just as fast as I can download
21 one. Yeppie!!
22
23 My only thing now, I hope it works like DSL/cable/etc and just requires
24 me to plug in a ethernet cable.  In other words, OS doesn't matter.  I
25 suspect it does but we will see.
26
27 Any thoughts on tmpfiles?  What are other doing?  Switching?  Nothing?
28
29 Thanks.
30
31 Dale