From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching default tmpfiles and faster internet coming my way.
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 09:09:42
1 On 04/12/2020 01:40, Dale wrote:
2 > Also, our local power company is about to start rolling out internet
3 > service.  It's done with fiber and the slowest package, 200MBs/sec, is
4 > over 100 times faster than my current DSL.  It only costs $4.00 a month
5 > more than what I'm paying now.  Their fastest package is 1GBs/sec.
6 > Dang, I can't even imagine that sort of speed.  Another good thing, same
7 > speed BOTH ways.  I can upload videos just as fast as I can download
8 > one. Yeppie!!
9 >
10 > My only thing now, I hope it works like DSL/cable/etc and just requires
11 > me to plug in a ethernet cable.  In other words, OS doesn't matter.  I
12 > suspect it does but we will see.
13
14 We went to fibre recently. They put a new box on the wall which takes an
15 RJ-45 instead of the previous situation where ADSL took an RJ-11.
16
17 All the blurb says "works with BT Hub 6", which we already had, so I
18 didn't bother getting a new router (you had to pay for the "latest and
19 greatest" Hub 7).
20
21 When the guy installed it - "where's you new router, it won't work with
22 this one". No apparently you can't just plug it into any old network
23 port, the router needs a dedicated WAN link and the Hub 6 came in two
24 versions, one with an ADSL modem and one with a fibre uplink.
25
26 So it sounds like you need to swap your ADSL router for a cable router
27 or whatever it is, but apart from that you'll be fine.
28
29 (And then some sales guy working on behalf of BT knocked on the door,
30 was surprised to find we were already BT customers, and rigged up some
31 deal that (a) threw in a Hub-7 free, (b) changed our calling plan to
32 remove the one-hour limit and add free calls to mobiles, and (c) knocked
33 about £2 off our monthly bill!!!)
34
35 Cheers,
36 Wol