From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching default tmpfiles and faster internet coming my way.
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 10:06:52
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 04/12/2020 01:40, Dale wrote:
3 >> Also, our local power company is about to start rolling out internet
4 >> service.  It's done with fiber and the slowest package, 200MBs/sec, is
5 >> over 100 times faster than my current DSL.  It only costs $4.00 a month
6 >> more than what I'm paying now.  Their fastest package is 1GBs/sec.
7 >> Dang, I can't even imagine that sort of speed.  Another good thing, same
8 >> speed BOTH ways.  I can upload videos just as fast as I can download
9 >> one. Yeppie!!
10 >>
11 >> My only thing now, I hope it works like DSL/cable/etc and just requires
12 >> me to plug in a ethernet cable.  In other words, OS doesn't matter.  I
13 >> suspect it does but we will see.
14 >
15 > We went to fibre recently. They put a new box on the wall which takes
16 > an RJ-45 instead of the previous situation where ADSL took an RJ-11.
17 >
18 > All the blurb says "works with BT Hub 6", which we already had, so I
19 > didn't bother getting a new router (you had to pay for the "latest and
20 > greatest" Hub 7).
21 >
22 > When the guy installed it - "where's you new router, it won't work
23 > with this one". No apparently you can't just plug it into any old
24 > network port, the router needs a dedicated WAN link and the Hub 6 came
25 > in two versions, one with an ADSL modem and one with a fibre uplink.
26 >
27 > So it sounds like you need to swap your ADSL router for a cable router
28 > or whatever it is, but apart from that you'll be fine.
29 >
30 > (And then some sales guy working on behalf of BT knocked on the door,
31 > was surprised to find we were already BT customers, and rigged up some
32 > deal that (a) threw in a Hub-7 free, (b) changed our calling plan to
33 > remove the one-hour limit and add free calls to mobiles, and (c)
34 > knocked about £2 off our monthly bill!!!)
35 >
36 > Cheers,
37 > Wol
42 I knew the modem or internet connection box would be different.  They
43 generally are unless we go back to dial-up days.  A friend of mine has a
44 similar service but with a different power company.  I suspect tho they
45 will use the exact same box since the service is the same.  If I can, I
46 may look at hers.  She has two boxes.  Pretty sure one is modem and
47 other is a router of some sort, likely with wi-fi as well.  She said she
48 watches HD video on her laptop and TV without it ever pausing to cache
49 or anything.  She pulled up a video on youtube that was HD and it
50 started playing as soon as she clicked on it and the little line at the
51 bottom that shows the cache and video time location filled up really
52 fast.  I suspect you could set it to play at 10X and it still load it
53 faster than it can play.  It is seriously fast.
54
55 Given the speed, I have no complaints on the price.  I won't notice the
56 extra $4.00 a month. I'll notice the speed increase tho.
57
58 I can't wait until it gets here.  It will be a bit but it's on the way.
59
60 Dale
61