From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching default tmpfiles and faster internet coming my way.
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 04:25:03
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 04/12/2020 01:40, Dale wrote:
3 >> Also, our local power company is about to start rolling out internet
4 >> service.  It's done with fiber and the slowest package, 200MBs/sec, is
5 >> over 100 times faster than my current DSL.  It only costs $4.00 a month
6 >> more than what I'm paying now.  Their fastest package is 1GBs/sec.
7 >> Dang, I can't even imagine that sort of speed.  Another good thing, same
8 >> speed BOTH ways.  I can upload videos just as fast as I can download
9 >> one. Yeppie!!
10 >>
11 >> My only thing now, I hope it works like DSL/cable/etc and just requires
12 >> me to plug in a ethernet cable.  In other words, OS doesn't matter.  I
13 >> suspect it does but we will see.
14 >
15 > We went to fibre recently. They put a new box on the wall which takes
16 > an RJ-45 instead of the previous situation where ADSL took an RJ-11.
17 >
18 > All the blurb says "works with BT Hub 6", which we already had, so I
19 > didn't bother getting a new router (you had to pay for the "latest and
20 > greatest" Hub 7).
21 >
22 > When the guy installed it - "where's you new router, it won't work
23 > with this one". No apparently you can't just plug it into any old
24 > network port, the router needs a dedicated WAN link and the Hub 6 came
25 > in two versions, one with an ADSL modem and one with a fibre uplink.
26 >
27 > So it sounds like you need to swap your ADSL router for a cable router
28 > or whatever it is, but apart from that you'll be fine.
29 >
30 > (And then some sales guy working on behalf of BT knocked on the door,
31 > was surprised to find we were already BT customers, and rigged up some
32 > deal that (a) threw in a Hub-7 free, (b) changed our calling plan to
33 > remove the one-hour limit and add free calls to mobiles, and (c)
34 > knocked about £2 off our monthly bill!!!)
35 >
36 > Cheers,
37 > Wol
42 I visited with my friend who recently got the same type of internet I'll
43 be getting.  Odds are, the boxes will be the same.  She has hers through
44 a power company and that's what I'm getting, just a different power
45 company.  Anyway, as I suspected, it has a little box which is the
46 modem.  It looks a lot like a old AT&T Westel modem.  It's a little bit
47 smaller but other than that, almost identical.  Then there is a bigger
48 box that is a router.  I'm not sure of the brand but I don't think I've
49 ever seen one like that before.  It includes wifi as well as the usual 4
50 ethernet plugins.  My friend only uses wifi.  She has a TV, laptop and
51 cell phone.  Me, I'm desktop so I'd have a ethernet plug for mine.  Wifi
52 for my cell phone tho.  Oh, printer too.  I assume I can use my router.
53 It has a ethernet cable going from modem to router.  Looks pretty simple
54 to me.  If I can use my existing router, don't know why I can't, then it
55 should be as simple as unplug cable from router, plug into new modem
56 from power company and surf the internet, at blazingly fast speeds.
57 Whooooooossssshhh.
58
59 I have links to pics I took.  One is modem and one is the router.
60 Anyone recognize the router?  Anything special about it?
61
62 https://freeimage.host/i/KBNa6b
63 https://freeimage.host/i/KBNYMu
64
65 I hope that site doesn't annoy anyone.  I upload there but rarely go
66 there for anything else.  I need to have me a server thingy somewhere I
67 can upload to and keep things safe.  With this new internet, it is
68 possible.  It uploads and downloads at 200MB/sec.  First backup may take
69 a while but after that, it wouldn't be bad.  I wouldn't think of doing
70 that with current DSL tho.
71
72 I'm excited to see this coming.  This is as good as when I went from
73 dial-up to DSL.
74
75 Dale
76