From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching default tmpfiles and faster internet coming my way.
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 10:24:52
1 On Friday, 4 December 2020 09:09:36 GMT antlists wrote:
2 > On 04/12/2020 01:40, Dale wrote:
3 > > Also, our local power company is about to start rolling out internet
4 > > service. It's done with fiber and the slowest package, 200MBs/sec, is
5 > > over 100 times faster than my current DSL. It only costs $4.00 a month
6 > > more than what I'm paying now. Their fastest package is 1GBs/sec.
7 > > Dang, I can't even imagine that sort of speed. Another good thing, same
8 > > speed BOTH ways. I can upload videos just as fast as I can download
9 > > one. Yeppie!!
10 > >
11 > > My only thing now, I hope it works like DSL/cable/etc and just requires
12 > > me to plug in a ethernet cable. In other words, OS doesn't matter. I
13 > > suspect it does but we will see.
14 >
15 > We went to fibre recently. They put a new box on the wall which takes an
16 > RJ-45 instead of the previous situation where ADSL took an RJ-11.
17 >
18 > All the blurb says "works with BT Hub 6", which we already had, so I
19 > didn't bother getting a new router (you had to pay for the "latest and
20 > greatest" Hub 7).
21 >
22 > When the guy installed it - "where's you new router, it won't work with
23 > this one". No apparently you can't just plug it into any old network
24 > port, the router needs a dedicated WAN link and the Hub 6 came in two
25 > versions, one with an ADSL modem and one with a fibre uplink.
26 >
27 > So it sounds like you need to swap your ADSL router for a cable router
28 > or whatever it is, but apart from that you'll be fine.
29 >
30 > (And then some sales guy working on behalf of BT knocked on the door,
31 > was surprised to find we were already BT customers, and rigged up some
32 > deal that (a) threw in a Hub-7 free, (b) changed our calling plan to
33 > remove the one-hour limit and add free calls to mobiles, and (c) knocked
34 > about £2 off our monthly bill!!!)
35 >
36 > Cheers,
37 > Wol
38
39 The full fibre to the premises (FTTP) connection requires a different port and
40 modem to the ADSL broadband.
41
42 The basic functionality of an (A)DSL broadband modem is to convert electrical
43 signals coming down the copper telephone wire to ethernet frames. The basic
44 functionality of a fibre modem is to convert the optical signals arriving
45 through the fibre cable to ethernet frames.
46
47 In the UK, the old copper telephone wires coming into the customer premises
48 terminated on an RJ11 connector, which was plugged into the corresponding RJ11
49 socket of the ADSL modem, or into the more frequently provided by the ISP
50 modem+router+WiFi combo box.
51
52 With fibre the modem, now called an Optical Network Terminal (ONT), no longer
53 has a RJ11 port. Instead it has an optical port to receive the fibre cable
54 coming into the premises. The ONT also has an RJ45 ethernet port for the LAN
55 side - where you connect the router's WAN port with an ethernet cable. It
56 also has a telephone port for VoIP and a power connection. It may also have a
57 UPS connection to provide power to keep the phone working when the mains power
58 supply suffers an outage - some ONT boxes have an internal battery for this
59 purpose.
60
61 It follows that an old ADSL router combo box with an RJ11 WAN port is no good
62 for fibre - although it can be used as a dumb switch or a WiFi Access Point in
63 your LAN. Instead a router with an RJ45 ethernet WAN port is required. More
64 expensive routers/switches come with SFP transceiver ports, in which you can
65 plug either optical or ethernet cables.
66
67 Prices for fibre are more expensive depending on the ISP and a new contract is
68 required. Initial discounts are meant to entice earlier migration to fibre,
69 but prices will increase by 30% or more after the discount period expires. If
70 you want to stay at the same speed as ADSL or use fibre for telephone only,
71 then the price could be the same as the old copper connection, but again it
72 depends on the ISP.