From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Switching default tmpfiles and faster internet coming my way.
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 07:55:43
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > It sounds like a rather rare problem. Maybe even only during boot up.
4
5 It is a non-existent problem on openrc if you clean /tmp and /var/tmp
6 on boot (which you should do if you use opentmp):
7
8 The purpose of opentmpfiles is to fill these directories with
9 certain data during boot, and when run only during boot
10 (as it is supposed to be) there is nothing wrong with it.
11
12 The situation is different for systemd which runs tmpfiles
13 periodically to clean up data from /tmp and /var/tmp
14 (something which should argueably be done by a dedicated tool
15 instead of putting two different functionalities into the same
16 tool - the usual systemd misconception of trying to be monolithic).
17
18 There is a certain danger if you install a new package whose
19 ebuild processes on installation a certain tmpfiles.conf
20 which writes into one of the world-writable directories /tmp or
21 /var/tmp: Such an ebuild does an inherently unsafe thing during
22 installation (but it doesn't matter whether it does this using
23 opentmpfiles or by calling the shell commands manually), and I
24 would not hesitate to file a bug against such an ebuild.