From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Switching default tmpfiles and faster internet coming my way.
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 12:55:25
1 On 06/12/2020 07:55, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> It sounds like a rather rare problem. Maybe even only during boot up.
4
5 > It is a non-existent problem on openrc if you clean /tmp and /var/tmp
6 > on boot (which you should do if you use opentmp):
7
8 Which breaks a lot of STANDARDS-COMPLIANT software.
9
10 /var/tmp is *specified* as "surviving a reboot", so cleaning it on
11 startup is not merely non-standard, but *forbidden* by the standard -
12 said standard being the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard ...
13
14 For example, editors assume /var/tmp is a safe place to stash their
15 files so they can recover from a system crash.
16
17 (I used to mount /var/tmp as a tmpfs until I found that out ...)
18
19 Cheers,
20 Wol