From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's up with larry the cow dot org?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:19:57
1 On 16/10/2017 07:29, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 20:26:04 +0000 (UTC)
4 >> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Appropos of nothing, I accidentaly stumbled across larrythecow.org
7 >>> today. It's oddly baffling. The domain is registered to "Domain
8 >>> Protection Services", and (AFAICT) has been since 2005.
9 >>
10 >> Wayback suggests that until Oct 2015 it was associated with Funtoo:
11 >>
12 >> https://web.archive.org/web/20151005165316/http://larrythecow.org:80/
13 >>
14 >> Sometime Nov 2015 it got nuked and replaced with a page with hints of ASP
15 >>
16 >> https://web.archive.org/web/20151107212839/http://larrythecow.org:80/
17 >>
18 >> Jan 2016 onwards is all laptop crap.
19 >>
20 >> That's all I have for now, but I'd assume the site has been hacked.
21 >>
22 >> Maybe somebody at funtoo knows what's up.
23 >
24 > It might be someone testing the claim on Larry the Cow. The content is
25 > enough, I would think, to provoke legal action, but they're not
26 > actually making much (if any) money off of the site.
27 >
28 > I might open up something on the tracker for the trustees about this.
29 > I've found it a few times and been very confused, but I didn't explore
30 > it any further than that.
31
32 I don't think the trustees can argue that claim anymore. Larry hasn't
33 been around for years on gentoo web sites (znort is still to be found
34 hovering at the bottom of wiki pages though!). Trademarks go away in law
35 if you don't protect them.
36
37 And it was never Larry the Cow either, gentoo had
38 Larry the Gender-Confused Cow :-)
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com