From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems getting systemd to work
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 22:26:11
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Jc García <jyo.garcia@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > 2014-05-14 9:51 GMT-06:00 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>:
5 > >> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > >>> Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >>>
8 > >>>> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 10:05 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
9 > >>>> [snip]
10 > >>>> > I am using version 037 and the command line was very simple
11 > >>>>
12 > >>>> As I told you in [1], the 037 version has problems with LVM; please
13 > >>>> also check the thread in [2], specially the post in [3].
14 > >>>>
15 > >>>> Please try again with dracut-036-r4.
16 > >>>>
17 > >>>> Regards.
18 > >>>>
19 > >>>> [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/274340
20 > >>>> [2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/274152
21 > >>>> [3] http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@l.g.o/msg145647.html
22 > >>>> (for some reason it doesn't appear in gmane).
23 > >>> portage won't let me downgrade unless I downgrade systemd to 2.10 --
24 > >>> should I do that?
25 > >>
26 > >> You mean 210. I'm on 208; my LVM test system is basically stable.
27 > >>
28 > >> However Jc says he's got it to work with dracut 037-r1; perhaps try
29 > >> that version first?
30 > >>
31 > >> What I do know is that with dracut 037, me and Stefan ran intro troubles.
32 > >>
33 > > I described it as a 'workaround' in my first post, aware of the fact
34 > > that the behavior is not normal, but dracut acctually gives help
35 > > finding this workaround, wich is telling the kernel what LVs to use at
36 > > boot.
37 >
38 > Sorry, I forgot about that.
39 >
40 > I just tried my test LVM system with dracur-037-r1 and it didn't work.
41 > I have not tried yet your workaround, but there is obviously something
42 > fishy going on with the latest version of dracut; I would stay with
43 > 036-r4.
44 >
45 > I will try your workaround, although my system is a little more
46 > complicated, since it uses RAID and LUKS besides LVM.
47
48 Well, the workaround sort of worked -- it went through the initrd -- I
49 had debug in the kernel command line, but it did not stop for nothing!
50 When it went to the real root, however it did not activate any of the
51 lvm volumes I had except for what I specified in the kernel command
52 line, causing things not to work well. Also, I noticed that if insisted
53 on using the predictable network names, even though I have
54 /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and
55 /etc/udev/rules.d/80-name-slot.rules which work fine in openrc to give
56 me back my eth* names. So all in all, it was a mess and took me to an
57 emergency shell and that was the end of that. I did eventually activate
58 some volumes by lvchange -aay, but obviously that would not work well.
62 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
63 How do
64 you spend it?
65
66 John Covici