From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planned btrfs conversion: questions
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 15:53:53
1 On 11/05/2014 14:29, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 11 May 2014 18:43:53 William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >
4 >> One reason I am moving from reiserfs is bitrot - I can see that reiserfs is
5 >> losing favour.
6 >
7 > I'd been given that impression too, so a month or two ago I converted my few
8 > reiserfs partitions to ext4. When I came to restoring the /usr/portage
9 > partition from backup I had to double its size to fit the files in (or I could
10 > have tried fiddling with the arguments to mkfs.ext4, but resizing was easier at
11 > the time).
14 Reiserfs bitrot was always a sad thing for me with the portage tree.
15
16 Reiser always truly excelled at storing, accessing and deleting
17 thousands of small files, just like the tree contains.
18
19 Like you, I ended up making my ext4 volumes for the tree twice as big
20 and got over it. I still miss the reiser performance though
23 Alan McKinnon
24 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com