From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:26:22
1 On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 23:12:36 +0300, "Arthur D." <spinal.by@××××.ru> wrote:
2 > James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com> писал(а) в своём письме Thu, 01
3 Oct
4 >
5 > 2009 22:04:38 +0300:
6 >
7 > VI.
8 > Maybe it's called VIsudo because VIM is better alternative for VANILLA,
9
10 > hah?
11
12 Maybe we should stick to the old devfs stuff instead of udev, because the
13 names matches. Maybe we should use fam as our file alteration monitor
14 instead of the newest gaim, because the names matches. Maybe we should
15 continue using xfree86 because a lot of tools are still named the xf* way.
16 Let's assume it: each distro has its defaults and times change. The origin
17 of the name of visudo is at best an extremely poor argument.
18
19 > I think it's most reasonably to omit that hardcoding line from ebuild.
20 > I'm sure visudo will notice the user about what should be done to make
21 it
22 > work
23 > as expected and that's better behaviour than complaining about missing
24 > /bin/nano,
25 > don't u think so?
26
27 No, Gentoo assumes nano as a safe default. If you are ripping something
28 that's part of the base installation (in fact, it's part of the system
29 package set) then you should be prepared to handle it yourself. There's a
30 default editor just like there's a default syslogger, a default cron daemon
31 and a default package manager. Maybe we should also start debating about
32 there. Maybe, and following your logic, it would be better to set as
33 default something that might not even be installed because the first two
34 letter of "vim" and "visudo" are the same.
35
36 If you truly want to find a "solution", you will have to dig much deeper
37 than that, and not just put your preferred editor instead of the one that
38 comes in the gentoo stage files in the ebuild, because that's simply not
39 acceptable. Oh, and your ebuild patch doesn't even bother to check the vim
40 dependency. Oh, and to set a default is not the same than "hardcoding".
41 They are very different concepts. All the programs have defaults on their
42 config files.
43
44 Assume it, your vim zealotry is getting in the middle. Try to look at it
45 from a distant perspective. Then let the ideas rest a couple of days and
46 come back if you have a proper suggestion other than "set my beloved vim as
47 default".
50 Jesús Guerrero