From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] FTP Server
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:32:20
1 > On 6/6/06, Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > > I agree with Daniel, if you learn on a GUI its far too easy to make
3 > > bad websites. Start with VI and a good book, and do yourself a favor
4 > > learning CSS and XHTML since that is where web design is headed.
5 >
6 > It is probably a good idea to start with a good text editor and a
7 > book, but trying to learn vi and web design at the same time might be
8 > a bit overwhelming!
9 >
10 > -- Evan
11 > --
12 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
13 [Timothy A. Holmes]
14
15 In this sense I am afraid I cannot agree with you. While I agree that
16 it is ABSOLUTLY essential to learn XHTML and CSS code, trying to start
17 from a blank vi or notepad screen is an exercise in frustration -- been
18 there done that -- as I was beginning to learn web programming, working
19 under incredible pressure from the then resident administration, I was
20 trying to hand code everything in Visual InterDev. The crowning moment
21 was 5 hours spent to produce 2 lines of NON-WORKING code. I far more
22 recommend a authoring package like Dreamweaver that allows you to flip
23 views or even split the views, so you can see what is happening to your
24 code each time you make an insertion. I tend to do the "pretty" stuff
25 in the gui and use the code editor (which has autocomplete and some
26 other nice stuff) to do the code. In some cases (like constructing
27 querys etc) DW makes it very easy to accomplish and provides CONSISTANT
28 and WORKING code, which is something that beginning web builders have a
29 hard time with. Even if you are set on doing hand code, do it with a
30 coding editor such as Dreamweaver - the color coding, line numbers etc
31 make it much easier to debug
32
33 I would at ALL COSTS -- stay away from Front Page -- the code that it
34 produces is HORRIBLE.
35
36 Tim
39 Timothy A. Holmes
40 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
41
42 Medina Christian Academy
43 A Higher Standard...
44