From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to mask or remove new ebuild
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 16:01:35
1 On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Raphael MD <raphaxx@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Jul 22, 2017 22:06, "Rich Freeman" <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Raphael MD <raphaxx@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> >
6 >> >
7 >> > Now I need to install Kdevelop-5.1.0, and emerge are asking to install
8 >> > kde's
9 >> > dependencies' version 5.7.1. My installed versions are 5.6.2. But emerge
10 >> > even it I masked those packages, refuse to install.
11 >>
12 >> It sounds like you're running into a qt update issue (I assume you're
13 >> talking about qt here - your description isn't very specific).
14 >>
15 >> If so, I suspect this will help you:
16 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Qt/FAQ#Solving_the_block
19 > I understand, but I've updated my system 15 days ago. I don't want to
20 > re-emerge all KDE stuff again and spends 2 days.
21
22 I don't think the qt update forces a KDE rebuild, but I'm not 100%
23 certain on that.
26 > Are there a way to roll back emerge-sync?
27
28 Sure, just switch to a git repo and checkout a previous commit.
29
30 > Because emerge-sync clean my old
31 > ebuilds and I can't mask the new ones, because I don't have the old ones.
32 > This appear to be the best solution.
33
34 I doubt that. If you think rebuilding KDE is painful then trying to
35 hold back the tide of upgrades is going to be something else entirely.
38 > For while I've learnt some things about Gentoo, ever save old ebuilds, never
39 > run emerge-sync only to upgrade firefox-bin and last, never emerge packages
40 > without --oneshot, wether this packages isn't very very important.
41 >
42 > And new, KDE appears to become a nightmare to have on pc. It's beautiful but
43 > is "terrificful".
44
45 I've never really had issues with KDE, but I don't really use many of
46 the KDE applications, such as kmail/koffice/etc. I also have baloo
47 disabled (I think - that thing is like a zombie that never quite
48 dies).
49
50 However, it really is an integrated set of packages. When it wants to
51 update all 150 of them, best to just let it. You can always save
52 binary packages to make it easier to go back, or use snapshots/etc at
53 the filesystem level. However, there is really no getting around the
54 forward march of progress on Gentoo. I'm running it on a Phenom II
55 and sure the updates can be slow (just waiting for full Ryzen support
56 on a longterm kernel to make the jump).
57
58 A release-based distro has a different set of tradeoffs but it would
59 generally result in you always staying on a stable version of KDE, for
60 the small selection of distros that support KDE well.
63 Rich