From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 18:47:41
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 8:14 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
5 >>>
6 >>> Doing backups with dd isn't terribly practical, but it is completely
7 >>> safe if done correctly. The LV would need to be the same size or
8 >>> larger, or else your filesystem will be truncated.
9 >>
10 >> Yes, my impression is that it isn't very practical or a good method, and
11 >> I find it strange that LVM is still lacking some major features.
12 >
13 > Generally you do backup at the filesystem layer, not at the volume
14 > management layer. LVM just manages a big array of disk blocks. It
15 > has no concept of files.
16
17 That may require downtime while the idea of taking snapshots and then
18 backing up the volume is to avoid the downtime.
19
20 >>> Just create a small boot partition and give the rest to zfs. A
21 >>> partition is a block device, just like a disk. ZFS doesn't care if it
22 >>> is managing the entire disk or just a partition.
23 >>
24 >> ZFS does care: You cannot export ZFS pools residing on partitions, and
25 >> apparently ZFS cannot use the disk cache as efficiently when it uses
26 >> partitions.
27 >
28 > Cite? This seems unlikely.
29
30 ,---- [ man zpool ]
31 | For pools to be portable, you must give the zpool command
32 | whole disks, not just partitions, so that ZFS can label the
33 | disks with portable EFI labels. Otherwise, disk drivers on
34 | platforms of different endianness will not recognize the
35 | disks.
36 `----
37
38 You may be able to export them, and then you don't really know what
39 happens when you try to import them. I didn't keep a bookmark for the
40 article that mentioned the disk cache.
41
42 When you read about ZFS, you'll find that using the whole disk is
43 recommended while using partitions is not.
44
45 >> Caching in memory is also less efficient because another
46 >> file system has its own cache.
47 >
48 > There is no other filesystem. ZFS is running on bare metal. It is
49 > just pointing to a partition on a drive (an array of blocks) instead
50 > of the whole drive (an array of blocks). The kernel does not cache
51 > partitions differently from drives.
52
53 How do you use a /boot partition that doesn't have a file system?
54
55 >> On top of that, you have the overhead of
56 >> software raid for that small partition unless you can dedicate
57 >> hardware-raided disks for /boot.
58 >
59 > Just how often are you reading/writing from your boot partition? You
60 > only read from it at boot time, and you only write to it when you
61 > update your kernel/etc. There is no requirement for it to be raided
62 > in any case, though if you have multiple disks that wouldn't hurt.
63
64 If you want to accept that the system goes down or has to be brought
65 down or is unable to boot because the disk you have your /boot partition
66 on has failed, you may be able to get away with a non-raided /boot
67 partition.
68
69 When you do that, what's the advantage other than saving the software
70 raid? You still need to either dedicate a disk to it, or you have to
71 leave a part of all the other disks unused and cannot use them as a
72 whole for ZFS because otherwise they will be of different sizes.
73
74 >>> This sort of thing was very common before grub2 started supporting
75 >>> more filesystems.
76 >>
77 >> That doesn't mean it's a good setup. I'm finding it totally
78 >> undesirable. Having a separate /boot partition has always been a
79 >> crutch.
80 >
81 > Better not buy an EFI motherboard. :)
82
83 Yes, they are a security hazard and a PITA. Maybe I can sit it out
84 until they come up with something better.
85
86 >>>> With ZFS at hand, btrfs seems pretty obsolete.
87 >>>
88 >>> You do realize that btrfs was created when ZFS was already at hand,
89 >>> right? I don't think that ZFS will be likely to make btrfs obsolete
90 >>> unless it adopts more dynamic desktop-oriented features (like being
91 >>> able to modify a vdev), and is relicensed to something GPL-compatible.
92 >>> Unless those happen, it is unlikely that btrfs is going to go away,
93 >>> unless it is replaced by something different.
94 >>
95 >> Let's say it seems /currently/ obsolete.
96 >
97 > You seem to have an interesting definition of "obsolete" - something
98 > which holds potential promise for the future is better described as
99 > "experimental."
100
101 Can you build systems on potential promises for the future?
102
103 If the resources it takes to develop btrfs would be put towards
104 improving ZFS, or the other way round, wouldn't that be more efficient?
105 We might even have a better solution available now. Of course, it's not
106 a good idea to remove variety, so it's a dilemma. But are the features
107 provided or intended to be provided and the problems both btrfs and ZFS
108 are trying to solve so much different that that each of them needs to
109 re-invent the wheel?
110
111 >> Solutions are needed /now/, not in about 10 years when btrfs might be
112 >> ready.
115 > Well, feel free to create one. Nobody is stopping anybody from using
116 > zfs, but unless it is either relicensed by Oracle or the
117 > kernel/grub/etc is relicensed by everybody else you're unlikely to see
118 > it become a mainstream solution. That seems to be the biggest barrier
119 > to adoption, though it would be nice for small installations if vdevs
120 > were more dynamic.
121 >
122 > By all means use it if that is your preference. A license may seem
123 > like a small thing, but entire desktop environments have been built as
124 > a result of them. When a mainstream linux distro can't put ZFS
125 > support on their installation CD due to licensing compatibility it
126 > makes it pretty impractical to use it for your default filesystem.
127 >
128 > I'd love to see the bugs worked out of btrfs faster, but for what I've
129 > paid for it so far I'd say I'm getting good value for my $0. It is
130 > FOSS - it gets done when those contributing to it (whether paid or
131 > not) are done. The ones who are paying for it get to decide for
132 > themselves if it meets their needs, which could be quite different
133 > from yours.
134
135 What are these licensing issues good for other than preventing
136 solutions?
137
138 > I'd actually be interested in a comparison of the underlying btrfs vs
139 > zfs designs. I'm not talking about implementation (bugs/etc), but the
140 > fundamental designs. What features are possible to add to one which
141 > are impossible to add to the other, what performance limitations will
142 > the one always suffer in comparison to the other, etc? All the
143 > comparisons I've seen just compare the implementations, which is
144 > useful if you're trying to decide what to install /right now/ but less
145 > so if you're trying to understand the likely future of either.
146
147 The future is not predictable, and you can only install something
148 /now/. What you will be able to install in the future and what your
149 requirements are in the future isn't very relevant.
150
151 In the future, you'll probably be basically in the same situation you're
152 in now, i. e. you'll find the file systems widely used not exactly up to
153 the requirements and "experimental" file systems that may make you ask
154 what to install /then/ and what their future might be.
155
156 So what's the benefit you'd get from the comparison you're interested
157 in?
161 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
162 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.