From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 14:11:17
1 On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 8:14 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
3 >>
4 >> Doing backups with dd isn't terribly practical, but it is completely
5 >> safe if done correctly. The LV would need to be the same size or
6 >> larger, or else your filesystem will be truncated.
7 >
8 > Yes, my impression is that it isn't very practical or a good method, and
9 > I find it strange that LVM is still lacking some major features.
10
11 Generally you do backup at the filesystem layer, not at the volume
12 management layer. LVM just manages a big array of disk blocks. It
13 has no concept of files.
16 >> Just create a small boot partition and give the rest to zfs. A
17 >> partition is a block device, just like a disk. ZFS doesn't care if it
18 >> is managing the entire disk or just a partition.
19 >
20 > ZFS does care: You cannot export ZFS pools residing on partitions, and
21 > apparently ZFS cannot use the disk cache as efficiently when it uses
22 > partitions.
23
24 Cite? This seems unlikely.
25
26 > Caching in memory is also less efficient because another
27 > file system has its own cache.
28
29 There is no other filesystem. ZFS is running on bare metal. It is
30 just pointing to a partition on a drive (an array of blocks) instead
31 of the whole drive (an array of blocks). The kernel does not cache
32 partitions differently from drives.
33
34 > On top of that, you have the overhead of
35 > software raid for that small partition unless you can dedicate
36 > hardware-raided disks for /boot.
37
38 Just how often are you reading/writing from your boot partition? You
39 only read from it at boot time, and you only write to it when you
40 update your kernel/etc. There is no requirement for it to be raided
41 in any case, though if you have multiple disks that wouldn't hurt.
44 >> This sort of thing was very common before grub2 started supporting
45 >> more filesystems.
46 >
47 > That doesn't mean it's a good setup. I'm finding it totally
48 > undesirable. Having a separate /boot partition has always been a
49 > crutch.
50
51 Better not buy an EFI motherboard. :)
54 >>> With ZFS at hand, btrfs seems pretty obsolete.
55 >>
56 >> You do realize that btrfs was created when ZFS was already at hand,
57 >> right? I don't think that ZFS will be likely to make btrfs obsolete
58 >> unless it adopts more dynamic desktop-oriented features (like being
59 >> able to modify a vdev), and is relicensed to something GPL-compatible.
60 >> Unless those happen, it is unlikely that btrfs is going to go away,
61 >> unless it is replaced by something different.
62 >
63 > Let's say it seems /currently/ obsolete.
64
65 You seem to have an interesting definition of "obsolete" - something
66 which holds potential promise for the future is better described as
67 "experimental."
70 > Solutions are needed /now/, not in about 10 years when btrfs might be
71 > ready.
74 Well, feel free to create one. Nobody is stopping anybody from using
75 zfs, but unless it is either relicensed by Oracle or the
76 kernel/grub/etc is relicensed by everybody else you're unlikely to see
77 it become a mainstream solution. That seems to be the biggest barrier
78 to adoption, though it would be nice for small installations if vdevs
79 were more dynamic.
80
81 By all means use it if that is your preference. A license may seem
82 like a small thing, but entire desktop environments have been built as
83 a result of them. When a mainstream linux distro can't put ZFS
84 support on their installation CD due to licensing compatibility it
85 makes it pretty impractical to use it for your default filesystem.
86
87 I'd love to see the bugs worked out of btrfs faster, but for what I've
88 paid for it so far I'd say I'm getting good value for my $0. It is
89 FOSS - it gets done when those contributing to it (whether paid or
90 not) are done. The ones who are paying for it get to decide for
91 themselves if it meets their needs, which could be quite different
92 from yours.
93
94 I'd actually be interested in a comparison of the underlying btrfs vs
95 zfs designs. I'm not talking about implementation (bugs/etc), but the
96 fundamental designs. What features are possible to add to one which
97 are impossible to add to the other, what performance limitations will
98 the one always suffer in comparison to the other, etc? All the
99 comparisons I've seen just compare the implementations, which is
100 useful if you're trying to decide what to install /right now/ but less
101 so if you're trying to understand the likely future of either.
104 Rich